We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

Which Mooloolaba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

We will be in the Brisbane area for 3 days in October. I have been researching the area and would like to stay at the Outrigger International Resort. I realize now that Mooloolaba is about 90 km from the Brisbane airport. Will we have to rent a car to tour the Mooloolaba area? I think a taxi would be quite expensive to transport us from the airport to the hotel. Any suggestions on taking a charter bus? I just don't think I can drive on the opposite side of the street, sorry, but being a yank has its disadvantages.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

A car is the best way..its very, very easy to get out of Brisbane airport to the highway..the car hire places are right across the road from the airport. It will take you approx 1.5hrs to Mool which is a lovely place to stay.The outrigger hotel is also in a great location, across the road from the beach and next door to all the cafes/restaurants etc.

A taxi would be far too expensive.

If you dont want to drive then checkout

www.totaltravel.com.au they list heaps of companies with shuttle buses.

Mool will also have tours going to places of interest once you arrive to hotel..pick up the brochures and start to explore!!

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

It's easy enough to get to Mooloolaba. There are number of coach services to the Sunshine Coast. Two are Sunair see www.sunair.com.au and Suncoast Pacific www.suncoastpacific.com.au. On the coast you can travel around on the Sunbus see www.sunbus.com.au. The Australia Zoo has a free coach service to the zoo which is well worthwhile seeing.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

If you don't want to drive, get an airport bus to Mooloolaba from Brisbane airport. I belive they meet every flight.

There are several tour companies who will take you around on day trips. Australia Zoo will pick you up either at your accomodation or close by if you are interested in going there.

Have wild fun!

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

I wouldn't recommend the Outrigger at all. The rooms are very small and I believe that it is overpriced. It can also be extremely noisy, particularly at the weekend. I now live in Mooloolaba but spent many holidays here before deciding that it was the only place in the world for me! It depends what you are looking for, but by far the "nicest" accommodation that I encountered was at the Mirra Chana resort on Parkyn Parade - beautiful, spacious apartments with direct access to the beach and a couple of minutes walk into the centre of town. The pool isn't up to much but the location more than makes up for it, I think. Pool -wise, the Newport is the best option. It is freezing round the pool at the Outrigger, even on the sunniest day

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I wished I would have known about the airport closer to Mooloolaba when booking our ticket to Cairns, Brisbane and Sydney. It has been a difficult process trying to persuade my husband, brother-in-law and in-laws about booking a luxury type apartment. When we travel together, we stay at all-inclusive type resorts (especially in Puerto Vallarta and Cancun Mexico). I like to venture out to restaurants. They like resorts which offer all types of activities. We might be leaning more toward renting a car in Brisbane. My husband mentioned again about the "opposite side of the road" and making sure our US auto insurance covers us in Australia. I did look at the website for Oceans. The apartments look very nice, my in-laws might like that particular property. But, I did see the website for the Newport and Mirra Chana apartments. The lush greenery and palm trees remind me of Hawaii. The grounds around the beach behind Oceans looks very deserted (no trees). It reminds me of a south Texas beach near the border of Mexico. Correct me if I am wrong about Oceans.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

trippudy3 do try hard to convince your husband to drive downunder.There is one simple rule-keep your passenger next to the kerb.Driving just makes things more accessible and able to fit more things in.

As for transport there is no problem-busses run frequently.One of the most ftequent is sunair and there cost is $A44 a person.Look it up at www.sunair.com.au

However consider a limousine transfer.We always use quicksilver limos and their cost from the airport to maroochydore is $A130.So if there are 2 or 3 of you the cost is competitive but the ride is much better.check them out on www.quicksilverlimos.com

I think guruswife is being a bit harsh on the outrigger as we have visited friends there and the room was certainly not small.We have also seen inside sirocco and zanzibar on the esplanade and those do offer very nice rooms.All 3 have great views.

burnley
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

australia has a good transport system. but you should rent a car. The roads are not very busy, once you get out of brisbane. Remember Australia is a big country with not a lot of people living there. so the traffic is nice and easy. We visit there often and never have a problem.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

I will check into several transportation options. There will be 5 of us (all adults) on this trip. Forget about a compact car, maybe a mini-van. OK, I can just see us making a few mistakes driving down the road, especially the roundabouts. You can imagine the comments we will get from the locals.

Most of the websites showing luxury apartments look very roomy. Granted, we have only stayed at one hotel, which was in Mexico, that included a full size kitchen. All the other hotels have included more of a kitchenette with a microwave, coffeemaker and sink.

Thanks again and look forward to more responses.

Karen

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

if you dont want to stay at the outrigger then i suggest staying at the landmark..a few doors down from outrigger.we booked the penthouse which was fully self contained with kitchen, washing machine, dyer,overlooking the beach..large balcony and a roof top terrace with own private spa..you could fit 50 people on terrace.we ran a conference here and all the other rooms smaller studio type were really cute.

the other place you could stay at is the Twin Water Resort which is half way between Mool and Noosa. it offers villa style accommadation,has heaps of activites such as sailing / canoeing/ on their large lake, also opposite the beach.

hope this helps!!

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Brisbane in October, Mooloolaba too far?

tripprudy3,if there are 5 of you quicksilver limos do have a minivan which I think costs about $A190 from brisbane airport to maroochydore so cost effective for 5.They also have a stretch limo but that is a bit more-you will have to look that one up.

As you are staying only 3 days you could get away with out a car as Steve Irwin puts on a free bus to Australia zoo,Underwater world another local attraction is just a short walk away.Then of course a day on the beach is a must.

However a car does give you a greater choice and a drive into the sunshine coast hinterland is a great way to spend a day.

In australia out of the capitol cities most of the accommodation are apartment blocks.Even the outrigger has the individual rooms owned by investors.That is why you will often get conflicting opinions on rooms.Obviously with 5 it would be best to have a 2 bedroom unit.All of the places on the esplanade are relatively new so go with the best deal for the biggest room.