We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back from Calounra

Which Caloundra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
just back from Calounra

I spent just over a week in Caloundra before Xmas with my husband and teenage daughter and we fell in love with the place. It is nothing flash like Noosa, but it is a busy little town and Kings beach, where we stayed, is magnificent.

We walked on the beach, hopped over the waves, read the novels we had been meaning to read and took a few trips to the Hinterland where the view as you drive along the top of the ridge is stupendous.

Our daughter went Go Kart driving at nearby Landsborough and spent a blissful day shoppingat the enormous Sunshine Plaza with her friend. We intended to check out Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo but never got there, although we drove past it several times.

There were several places for decent coffee-The Naked Turtle and Rex' coffee bar outside the Shearwater resort and a wonderful deli on Bulcock Street called something to do with a chilli bean I think. We had the best lunch there-home made quiche and fresh salad and it was very reasonable and great friendly staff. I wish I could remember the name.

We ate out at night and there are some very good restaurants-we probably spent more than we should have!

The Naked Turtle has an excellent upmarket dinner menu: there is a Thai restaurant actually on the front at Bulcock beach-great food: Don't miss the fish and chips at Alfie's on Bulcock beach: Great steaks and an upmarket menu at a restuarant called something like The Moo Cha Bar on Bulcock beach-really nice: There is a restaurant/cafe/bar on the boardwalk close to Kings beach called Tanya's. Nice food but very slow the night we were there. But you can sit right by the beach with your food:There is a Hog's Breath cafe for a lower key evening but they serve good steak; The Surf Club at Kings beach has won awards and they send out a mini van so you can have a few drinks and be dropped off afterwards. We found the food pretty average but good value. Don't miss the wonderful Italian ice cream shop on Bulcock Street-a highlight!

There didn't seem to be a whole lot of night life, which suited us just fine.

The Hinterland is half an hour away and you should spend half a day poking around the shops at Maleny-plenty of good cafes and restaurants, and don't miss Mary Cairncross Park close to Maleny. There is a lovely rainforest walk and small museum and a really nice cafe where you can sit with delicious sandwiches and quiches and gaze at the view of the Glasshouse Mountains.

Drive the other way to Montville, Flaxton and Mapleton and have a drink at the pub at Mapleton-it's the only one and you won't miss it. You sit on the Verandah and gaze at the view-it is stunning. Next door is a french patisserie and cafe-stop in for a brioche-it is authentically french! Then on the way back there are a couple of wineries, and Montville has charming shops and galleries.

We will certainly be going back.

We stayed at The Shearwater (I'll do a separate review) which was ok-amazing position, easy parking, ocean views but a bit ordinary and tired looking. If you have kids I would recommend it highly-great playground, picnic areas, water spouts but I suspect there might be better.

Somebody told me that the South Easterlies can blow seaweed onto the beach in which case go to Moffat Beach which is protected.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back from Calounra

Hi Ozziegal,

you should place this report into "Inside pages",(Brisbane) for other travellers, to benefit from..

The Hinterlands are beautiful..........totally agree.

I enjoyed reading your report.

Ellemay.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back from Calounra

thanks ElleMay.

I'll see about posting the report elsewhere-Caloundra doesn't seem to get too many hits!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back from Calounra

the deli/cafe I mentioned is the chilli jam cafe on Bulcock Street. We had really delicious home made quiche and assorted salads plus a great coffee, and it wasn't expensive.

I would definitely eat there again.

The ice cream cafe is the Milano I think. It is also on Bulcock street. Don't even think of walking by-it is an institution!

Bulcock street is a lovely shady main street and there are some neat shops tucked away.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just back from Calounra

Well I am biased.Had a holiday in caloundra in 1991 and mooved for the very last time to live their since january 1993.

I can sit on the boardwalk and watch the sun go down over the glasshouse mountains and never tire of the view.

Glad to see you also enjoyed Caloundra.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back from Calounra

Yeah Caloundra is an understated little town that really grows on you. It is an easy place to stay without the glitz and pretentions of some of the resort towns further up the coast.

It's a great base for exploring the Sunshine Coast and Hinterland.

We looked at some units while we were there...maybe...

I envy you your daily views drron.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back from Calounra

Yes, we're fans of Caloundra also. Much quieter and laid back than other places on the Sunshine Coast, though I do admit to liking Noosaville (not Noosa).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
814 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back from Calounra

Hi ozzygal, got to definitely agree with you. We did a slow road trip from Adelaide to Cairns last August and explored lots of places on the way. Our favourite spot on the Sunshine Coast was, without a doubt, Caloundra. We too, stayed at Kings Beach with the surf right below our balcony. Great spot! We did make it to Australia Zoo - enjoyed it - but it still has some developing to do, hope they can continue with the great ideas that Steve envisaged (eg Madagascar Island, etc.) The hinterland towns of Maleny, Montville, etc. are really lovely. Do you think it safe to let the secret out? I would hate this area to end up like Noosa!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just back from Calounra

Too late to keep quiet judging by all the building going on in Caloundra, but hopefully Montville etc won't grow too much more.

What a gorgeous part of Australia.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just back from Calounra

Great review Ozzygal.

Montville is my favorite spot on the Sunshine Coast & the drive through the hinterland, down through Maleny and Peachester into Beerwah is magnificent.

P.S If you want to go to a great German Restaurant with service the way it should be, drive past the Mary Cairncross Lookout for about a k and it is on your left with a unforgettable views. The service is something else and follow that with a hand made ice cream in the main street of Maleny. Bliss.

Auckland
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just back from Calounra

Great post - got a lot of information. Thanks.

What's Dicky and Mofat beach like compared to Kings?