We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

I get nauseous going to Manly on the ferry as it crosses the heads on a rough day!

I avoid looking at painting of ships at sea during bad storms ;-)

We are planning a day snorkeling out of Port Douglas next week and I don't want my day spoiled. I know it can get rough on the way to the reef in winter - but how rough and for how long?

Should I pop a pill with breakfast?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,209 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

It'll be a long trip from Caloundra, Eva. :)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

last time we went out with 'wavelength' in a 20-25knot wind and 2-3 m swell.

indications were that was pretty much on the 'not going out today' limit for them.

i think the pitching and tossing lasted about 2 hours each way. for me it was pretty rough but nothing to panic about. once inside the reel it was pretty calm as the tide was with us.

we started taking our seasick tabs the night before and were fine.

others who waited until breakfast/getting on board were not so lucky.

a few miserable people on board. the pills obviously worked in the longer term as no one was sick coming back.

Edited: 10:22 pm, July 22, 2012
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

Thanks for that lien - will stock up on Dramamine.

Luigi - Caloundra? WTF? You been out with the ferals in the Tarkine over the weekend getting into the whacky backie? Or am I missing something?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

u r missing that u posted on the caloundra forum!

;-)

but some (one) of us was too polite to mention this.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1,238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

3 weeks ago i went out twice, the first time the water was like glass, the second trip a few days later about 1/4 of people looked nauseous, with a few feeding the fish over the side. At our second stop they transferred people to a small island and the lack of movement seemed to help them and they were ok going back. I would take the medicine in the morning.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

We always take a Travacalm tablet before going to sea. It does help especially for my wife who does tend to get dizzy when she is on a boat.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,498 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

As Luigi and lien said, you are definitely missing a couple of thousand kilometres. And with that long neck of yours I can see your head wobbling all over the place, so you better take a few Dramamine :o)

Edited: 11:04 pm, July 22, 2012
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

Oh dear - must be a TA glitch - I certainly didn't select any forum - just trying to post on 'Australia' Can't change it, can I?

Rob - you must be as old as me - I went to the Chemist this morning and asked for Dramamine and was told they had been unavailable for years!

Hopefully the Travelcalm will do the job.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

Eva another one to try would be "Avomine" . It is traded as a Travel Sickness tablet. It is actually Phergen and it does work a treat.

I use it as my heavy duty travel sickness tablet. Usually I just take Travelcalm or Quells but sometimes I know I will need something stronger. You might be too drowsy to see much on the trip over and back but heck its just hours of water. I find though that once I get to where I want to be and start moving around the drowsiness leaves me.

Queensland
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How rough is the boat trip to the outer reef?

Always pick a seat that faces you in the direction of where you are traveling too.. Ginger can really help as well. I used to take ginger but biscuits with me on the plane and they helped with motion sickness.. Drink lots of water and try not go to the toilet on the boat while it is moving. Do NOT sit up the back- sit as far up the front as possible! Hope this helps I'm used to the boat now as I travel to work on one!