We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

Hi all,

I'm currently deciding whether to stay in Blue Mountains YHA for 1 night or 2 nights in dec..

Day 1 (SAT): Train from Sydney to Katoomba (Purchase explorer bus tickets- is there a multi 2 day pass instead of 1 or 3 days?) Visit Echopoint, 3 sisters, scenic world and do some simple hikes... visit some stores...

Day 2 (SUN): Train or bus? to Blackheath for horse riding at Megalong Valley. (What's the best way to get here early in the morning? My ride is at 10am) Wentworth Falls/ Gordon Falls or Jenolan Caves?

Should i make it a 1 night or two nighter?

Thanks!

Best Seller
Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
761 reviews
from $168.50*
Best Seller
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
254 reviews
from $162.80*
Best Seller
Blue Mountains Wildlife Day Tour from...
1,073 reviews
from $126.10*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

Make it two nights - there is so much to see up there, you won't regret staying the extra time.

The Megalong Valley horse riding is a *long* way from the main area in Blackheath, let alone Katoomba. If you're staying in Katoomba I suggest booking a taxi to take you there and one to pick you up. The trains are only every 2 hours west of Katoomba so could take you a while even to get to Blackheath unless you've planned carefully. There might be trackwork too.

Either Wentworth Falls or Jenolan Caves are a good option for a visit, but note that Jenolan is also a long way from the Katoomba area of the Blue Mountains - you might like to investigate a bus tour down there or something like that. Wentworth Falls are about 2km from the Station but there's a scenic bushwalk that starts on the other side of the highway from the railway station that takes you out to the bushwalking tracks (called the Darwin Walk or something like that) - it runs along the creek that eventually becomes the waterfall. Well worth doing.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

HI,

Thanks so much! I see some bus available from katoomba to blackheath but it looks pretty confusing... do u think i can take these to the main part of black heath?

bmbc.com.au/links/…Katoomba-Blackheath.pdf

Might be able to arrange pick up with the horse pple from there...

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

Blue Mountains Bus Company is a good operator, but there are very limited services on Sundays (route 698 is the one you want) - there is really only one bus to Blackheath leaving at 8am and one back leaving at 5pm.

The train would be a better option - there's a train from Katoomba at 9:20am on a Sunday that gets to Blackheath by 9:32. If you have transport down to the horse riding 25 mins should be enough time to get you there. If not, I still suggest you get a taxi.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

Thanks! I have further fine-tuned my stay at blue mountains..

Thu: Head to Katoomba early in the morning. Take hop on hop off bus to Echopoint, climb down giant stairway and reach scenic world. (Is it possible to complete before the last bus at 4.50pm?) What tickets to purchase at scenic world?

Fri: Horse Riding from 1000-1200 near Megalong Valley

Another 4 hours for Wentworth Falls... Anything else nearby and places to visit after 5om in the blue mountains?

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

Check the trackwork section of the cityrail website to see if anything planned on your trip. Its planned months in advance & will be listed now.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

I think that's a sensible itinerary that allows you to see a few things, and different parts of the Blue Mountains too.

The walk down the Giant Stairway to Scenic World is just over 3km, even if slow it will only take you a few hours. It's not that far to walk back to Katoomba if you absolutely have to (and a taxi would be less than $10).

wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/…

You can only buy tickets at Scenic World at the end if you're coming up from the valley - the Scenic Railway is closed at the moment for renovations but you can still take the cable car up (same price). You pay when you get out. You can then go on the Skyway as well if you want to or explore some of the other lookouts or features around there (e.g. Katoomba Falls). The HOHO bus allows you to go to some other places.

Most of the shops and attractions close at 5pm in the Blue Mountains on weekdays - though restaurants and pubs will still be open if that's your thing. Wentworth Falls has a couple of places to eat (back near the station, the only place near the National Park is the Conservation Hut) though not as many as Leura or Katoomba.

The Edge cinema has movies after 5pm - it's on the other side of Katoomba from the shops (http://www.edgecinema.com.au/).

7. Re: 2 Day Pass in Katoomba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 26, 2013