We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

Which Katoomba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Australia in Jan/Feb of next year. Planning this trip has been a huge task since we will be visiting multiple cities and I'm completely overwhelmed.

We will be spending 6 days in Sydney and I want to take a day trip to the Blue Mountains. I'm really not keen on tours because I prefer to do things at my own pace but my fiance doesn't really want to rent a car. I was looking at possibly taking the train in to Katoomba. Is there local buses to get the the attractions; caves, featherdale, etc. Or will I be stuck without transportation once I get to the rail station?

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

There are two hop-on hop-off buses that run around the tourist precinct.

http://www.trolleytours.com.au/

http://www.explorerbus.com.au/

The second one of these has a combined train/bus link ticket.

There is a local bus service.

http://www.bmbc.com.au/

Some attractions are within walking distance of the Blue Mountains stations. Echo point is 30 mins or so walk from Katoomba, the Edge is about 15 minutes walk in the other direction. Leura has its own station. Trains run every hour.

Taxis are available.

The caves are further afield. As far as I know you will need to take a tour or to drive. The trolley above is one company that does a caves trip from Katoomba. There are others.

Featherdale is a common wildlife park to stop at for tours to the mountains. It really isn't in the mountains at all. It will just take valuable time from your mountains trip. Do the wildlife world or Taronga Zoo while you are in Sydney instead.

Edited: 9:06 am, May 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

If you go to the Sydney forum home page on the right hand side under "top questions" you will see a FAQ about day trips to the Blue Mountains that will help answer your questions.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255060-i122-Sy…

You would not have enough time to do Featherdale/Mountains/caves (Jenolan) in 1 day. To visit the caves, an overnight stay is recommended.

Many visitors do the Featherdale/Mountains by train & HOHO bus/trolley. A recent trip report describes this....(Friday 19th Feb)

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k3…

Edited: 5:24 pm, May 13, 2010
Blue Mountains...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

Most shops and cafes are withing walking distance from the train station, there are local buses that will take you to the main attractions - Scenic World and the Three Sisters, but if you want to do bushwalks maybe you should look into doing a hop on - hop off tour? There are two places in Katoomba that do that, and if you want to visit Jenolan Caves, http://www.trolleytours.com.au/ offer trips out to Jenolan aswell. These are day trips, but perhaps you could see about staying overnight in Katoomba? Or make the trip from Sydney again, Jenolan Caves is definately worth visting while you're in the area.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

As everyone is saying, the area around Katoomba is easily seen in a day by taking the train from Sydney (they run hourly, and the trip takes two hours; a timetable and fares can be found on www.131500.com.au) and then hooping on either the trolley or the London bus, both of which cover essentially the same route and are hop-on-hop-off services. However, you mentioned "caves" and "Featherdale", and neither of these is close to Katoomba, and require separate planning. The best idea, since you have 6 days, which is quite a generaous tiome for a city as compact as Sydney, is to follow the advice of klt-cnh, and stay overnight in the Blue Mountains. Katoomba and its next-door neighbour Leura, are quite expensive overnight stays, but there's a nice budget hotel right at Wentworth Falls Station, and from the back of that hotel is a walking trail to beautiful Wentworth falls, which is worth a look, so if you do decide on this option, look up the GrandView Hotel at Wentworth Falls... they have a website which you can google up.

You could certainly visit Featherdale by public transport on the way up to Katoomba, as the train passes right by the back fence; however, if you do this, you will not arrive in Katoomba until around midday, which is another reason to stay overnight. A sample timetable for this journey might be:

8:06 Fast train (destination "Springwood") from Central to Blacktown, arrive Blacktown 8:42.

Taxi or bus to Featherdale (only about 2.5 km) to arrive at 9 a.m.

9 :00 - 10:30 at Featherdale; arrange for taxi to pick you up again at 10:30

10:45 Blacktown Station. Train (destination "Lithgow") to Katoomba. Arrive 12:11.

If you need longer at Featherdale, there is also a train from Blacktown exactly one hour later.

This will give you a half-day in the Katoomba area, and the following day you could get the day bus to Jenolan Caves (it leaves Katoomba Station at 9:45), which is about an hour's drive west of Katoomba. This is well-worth seeing, although if you plan to return by the bus on the same day (it leaves the caves again at 3 p.m.), you will probably only be able to see one cave system out of several that are available. If this is so, the Orient Cave or Temple of Baal might be good choices. For more transport details, check this site: www.jenolancaves.org.au/index.asp?pageID=67

If you go ahead with this, you should be back in Katoomba by 4:30 p.m., which will give you plenty of time to hop on the 5:21 train, which arrives back in Sydney at 7:25.

These are week-day train times; weekends are quite different, and, frankly, I'd avoid these at all costs if I were you, as half of Sydney drives to the Mountains attractions on Saturday and Sunday, and the train system is suspended for track work at some stage of the Sydney-Katoomba journey on at least one weekend in three, with substitute buses, poorly signposted, replacing them, adding sometimes an hour or more to your journey.

Edited: 8:44 pm, June 02, 2010
Blue Mountains...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

If you want to do two caves in one day, there are two that fit in with the Trolley Tours caves timetable, and that is the Lucas and the Orient caves (that costs about $96 for an adult for both caves). You only get a 25 min break between caves but I have done it and it's not overwhelming.

If you want to do adventure caving, or just want to see something a bit different, like AlanJ said the Temple Of Baal is pretty amazing, but you can only fit one of them in for a day trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

The blue mountains is a beautiful area. Do go into the valley floor on a hike it is wonderful. However I would suggest you spend one night. A day trip is very rushed.

7. Re: Traveling to Blue Mountains/Katoomba??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, December 08, 2010