We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion of things to do in August

England
Level Contributor
137 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion of things to do in August

Hi

We are visiting the Hunter Valley (CUMBERLAND in Cessnock) in August and would appreciate advice on the weather & temperature. Also what are the "must dos"?

Suggestions on where to eat would be useful - two of us are veggies!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion of things to do in August

The main and probably the only resaon most people visit the Hunter is to taste wine so this is the only must do i can think of.

Can't help with eating for veges but i like Belltrees @ margans. Tapas style so you can suit most tastebuds..

Newcastle, NSW...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion of things to do in August

Can really only answer for you about the weather. August will still be cool even if its a nice day. Jeans and a jumper would be sufficient but maybe a jacket just in case.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion of things to do in August

Hi there,

A really nice place to eat for you is the Lavender Farm in Wollombi...it's about a 20 minute drive out of Cessnock...but it's a nice quite country drive. The Lavender Farm, services really nice woodfired oven pizzas, and you can make them your selves. Also they have fab salads. My mother inlaw is practically a veggie and loves driving 50 minutes on the weekends to get there for lunch.

The Cumberland have their own restaurant, i'm sure they will be able to prepare something for you also. The Cumberland is only a few step away from the Aberdare Tavern and they have nice pub meals also. I do believe the cater for vegies, as well. Oh and there is a nice cafe on Cooper street called, suprise suprise, Cafe on Cooper, my husband and i go here for breakfastes sometime, the also cater for veggies. There is also a Thai restaurant on Vincent St, the main street in Cessnock, called Aloi Thai. I know for sure they vegetarian meals. Oh and another wonderful pub meal would be Neath Pub, if you ask their chef, Paul, I'm sure that he will be able to come up with something wonderful for you. If not just go there for their desserts, yummy! If you do have a meal there, make sure that you download a meal voucher on hotdocket, and it will enable to either let you have the send meal 1/2 price or for $5 depending on the night you go.

August last year was still pretty cool and there were a few rain drops now and then. But the way the weather has been of late, you can never really tell.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Regards

April

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion of things to do in August

Most people visit the Hunter Valley for the regional wines. There are some excellent restaurants in Hunter Valley most located in Pokolbin.

For additional information regarding the region, just click on the thread below.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c5736/Sydney:…

5. Re: Suggestion of things to do in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:21 am, September 30, 2009