We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trip for newly certified divers?

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
550 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trip for newly certified divers?

Hi, my husband and I are planning to be certified in scuba diving this spring and want to find a boat trip with a guide to help the newly certified in the Whitsundays in October. We have plans to go on the Spirit of Freedom out of Cairns later in the month, but would like to get a few dives under our belts prior to that. We had thought to go to Reef Sleep plus a day trip on either Reefjet or Seaflight (these found just by searching the internet, not by any recommendations, so please comment if you have one. However, a 3 day trip is very appealing, but I can't find a boat that doesn't seem like a huge party boat! We are 50-something and after diving all day, won't want to party, plus if it is overnight, we'd like a comfortable bed and private toilet, if possible. I also get sort of seasick so don't know if a sail boat would be the best thing--any thoughts on that? If there are any boats that come to mind, we would greatly appreciate your help! Thanks so much!

Sally in Seattle

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trip for newly certified divers?

G'day kooikermom, for a fit young couple like you there are lots of options.

Reefsleep I think may suit you, but you can do the daytrip to Reefworld as Extreme Divers which is for certified divers only and they take you away from the pontoon and the crowds and let you dive some nice spots that were'nt previously available, I'm not sure if they combine the 2, but might be worth investigating.

Cruises are my favourite and there are boats that will be suitable to the two of you and you'll get some great diving. These are the top end cruises and are quality vessels with great food and there will still be a few drinks in the end of an awesome day. Get one that does the GBR and it's all there for you.

Pacific Sunrise

Whitsunday magic

Reef Magic

Coral Trekker

MV Amari this is the newest addition to our fleet and is a truse cruise ship, but built to dive and the itinerary gives you some great dive opportunities.

There are a few more boats as well the majority are not just sail boats, but ocean going vessels that easily take The Whitsundays in their stride in comfort and luxury as well as being the practical way to get the most out of The Whitsundays.

There are a lot of options and the best thing for you two is to check out this thread it may really help you guys, but if you need any more info from me I'll do what I can. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255083-r129…

_Islands_Great_Barrier_Reef_Queensland.html cheers airlian

2. Re: Boat trip for newly certified divers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:29 am, August 25, 2009