We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

Hi

I need to get from Airlie Beach to Cairns on around the 21 Dec. I know it takes about 8 hours to drive, (about 10 hours on greyhound and costs $106 for a ticket). does anyone know a car hire company in airlie beach that could help us with our enquiry?

thank you

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

It's been a long time since I drove in that part of the world.

8 hours... I suppose it's about that far. From memory it's about 4 hours drive between Townsville and Cairns. $106.00 sounds a lot for a busticket. But what has happened here is that airfares became cheap. Guess we finally caught up with you guys... thus bus co's amalgamated and competition is probably non existant.

I'm sorry. as for rental places I can't offer much advice... I know that one-way rental is common between those places but as for cost or best shop to go to... all I can offer is that budget, hertz, avis, thrifty and europcar are names that come to mind. Last time I rented in cairns this time last year we went to thrifty... I assume it was the cheapest.. but it was just a "local" hire...

Perhaps if you google you'll come up with more... but here's one place I found:

australianexplorer.com/car_rental/proserpine…

also look at the train.. it's probably more expensive... but I thought that I should mention it...

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

Check out this website. They are like brokers for car hire places.

www.holidayautos.com.au

I have used them to hire cars in Australia, Italy, Portugal and the UK and they always seem to find the cheapest deals on offer.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

You'll probably have to pay for 2 days with the car, plus a one-way fee, so it may be better taking the bus or the train.

4. Re: car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 pm, August 20, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

Check out wwww.standbycars.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

Hi

I have always found "globalcars.com.au" very reasonable and we have used them twice and never had a problem.

7. Re: car hire - airlie beach to cairns - one way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 12, 2009