We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boating

Albury, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Boating

Hi, the wife and I are planning a 4 week caravan and boating holiday in and around airlie beach in July, I was wondering if a 4 metre tinny is capable or useful to get around and do abit of fishing and sight seeing? Can any help or give some advise thanks, cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,924 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boating

Honestly, I'd be slightly worried about crocodiles in a small boat....We went for a lovely walk at Shoal Harbour, but my friend kept us well up the beach away from the water line. We did go out sailing one day. I don't think I would plan to go out to one of the Whitsundays from AB in a small boat.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,704 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boating

Hi,

I have sailed the Whitsundays numerous times & the problem with a small boat in the Whitsundays is the sudden tides & swell which can happen rather rapidly depending on the winds, tide & currents. I wouldn't want to be out in the passage in a 4m tinny with 15-20knot winds as the eddy currents can create choppy conditions with waves.

You would be best to check with the weather conditions on the day & ask local advice before heading out.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boating

You will not have crocodile issues in the Whitsundays.

Im sure as a responsible boa owner you will be careful and check tidal info as well from local authorities.

There are lots of small boats that size zipping about within the waterways. I havent seen any in the open water though.

Yeppoon, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boating

Hey Dale - how did you go on your trip with the tinny?

I am going up to AB in October and taking our 5m tinny and looking to do some of the same exploration.

If you have time, I would be grateful to hear about your experiences, where you went and what you did etc?

5. Re: Boating

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 15, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach