We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Airlie Beach

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Airlie Beach

Hi guys,

Airlie has got my attention as it is rated the best beach in Australia on TA. I'm based in Melbourne & I would love to visit but have never been to QLD. Could someone provide basic information regarding how to plan a trip including:

The nearest airport? Major City?

Best time to visit and ideal no of days required to visit.

Appreciate your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Airlie Beach

I'm not sure exactly why this would be the "best beach" as it's not even a surf beach, as the ocean surf is protected by the Whitsunday Islands. I think the "best beach" designation may actually refer to Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Island, which is reached by tours from Airlie Beach, which is >20km away on the mainland. To help us provide a more tailored answer, maybe you could provide some background - what are the ages, interests, and budgets of the travellers?

Airlie Beach is near Proserpine Airport aka "Whitsunday Coast Airport" (code PPP) - check the normal airlines for flight schedules & costs. It is about a 30 minute bus ride to the town. You are not really near any major cities and although MacKay Queensland is not too far away, this isn't really relevant. You would fly from Melbourne to Proserpine (via Sydney or Brisbane), or alternatively you can fly to Hamilton Island Airport (HTI) which may have direct flights from Melbourne seasonally, or otherwise via Sydney/Brisbane. From Hamilton Island, which is worth a visit, you can take a ferry to Airlie Beach for about $50.

The main tourist activity in Airlie Beach, besides the pubs, local beaches, and national parks, is going on various trips around the Whitsundays by boat, either single-day trips to places like Whitehaven Beach on a large motor catamaran, or multiple day trips on sailing yachts that visit several islands and beaches in the region. Bareboat yacht charter is also a big industry. All of this can be pricey so make sure you review the prices and budget appropriately. But there's lots of low-cost and backpacker accommodation in Airlie Beach, as well as nicer options, so you have quite a range on that front. If you want to splash out on a resort, check out Hamilton Island (from where you can also get day trips to Whitehaven Beach).

Hope this helps get you started.

2. Re: Trip to Airlie Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 06, 2015