We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
619 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

We are heading to airlie for a few days after being in cairns area. Have already booked a couple of trips out by boat, but wonder if I am missing something. What else is there at Airlie?

Is there a beach where we could snorkel andswim

Is there any wildlife park or other natural attraction in the area that I've missed

We are staying at summit apartments ... Can anyone confirm how far this is from the town.

Thanks for any help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

Well, a big attraction besides boat trips is partying at the various bars, nightclubs, and hostels. It's a huge backpacker hangout. Besides that, there are a number of national park walks in the area. Here are a few places you can see listings:

tourismwhitsundays.com.au/destinations/…

tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g261596-Activ…

(The Whitsunday Great Walk looks like it's worth checking out?)

I've only done boat trips and stayed in hostels, so haven't checked out those walks myself. You'll probably need a rental car to get to the national parks easily, or if you are self-catering your apartment. I can tell you that there's a big hill in between the Woolworths and the centre of town (though there is also a bus service).

Edited: 7:49 pm, January 14, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

Hi,

The Whitsundays are stunning consisting of 74 islands which are absolutely gorgeous. It's best experienced on a boat however there are plenty of different activities to do & beaches to explore within the region.

Will you have a car ?

Places of interests -

Bowen is located on the northern side of the Whitsunday Islands and is a easy 45mins drive away. Bowen is full of beautiful beaches - Horseshoe Bay / Front Beach /Murray Bay / Kings Beach / Queens Beach / Gray Beach/ and Rose Bay Beach.

There is also an excellent walk called Mother Beddock Walking Track, which starts at the Horseshoe Bay Resort and winds around cliffs and beaches offering spectacular views.

Conway National Park is a peaceful coastal park overlooking the Whitsunday. You can also do some excellent walks like the Mount Rooper Circuit through the NP.

The Airlie Beach Lagoon is situated right in the centre of Airlie Beach and has become the focal point of the area.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

There are many Islands to visit but if you don't want a boat trip there is Hideaway Bay 30 minutes from Airlie that has a beautiful beach with two lovely restaurants overlooking it for lunch or dinner or to Stay the night. One is called Cape Gloucester Eco Village tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g3248346-d21… the other is Montes tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g3248346-d32… have not stayed but done a day trip to both...I prefer Cape Gloucester! Otherwise we hung around Airlie's Lagoon and ate at the lovely restaraunts

UK
Level Contributor
619 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

\thanks to all those who posted a response. There seems to be other stuff to do, but we may need transport... good to know. I assume there are no beaches or snorkelling spots that we can walk to from our accommodation in Airlie? Any other responses would be gratefully received.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

No Airlie Beach is a tourist town which services the Whitsundays. Beautiful location however no beautiful beaches or snorkelling.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

A fun way to see Airlie and a few of the other spots north of there is one of those Mini Mokes that they hire there. Backpackers fun machines. You don't open doors - you jump over them. Go anywhere machines which can handle offroad, not that anyone would tell you that, as they are front wheel drive. Not that one would start taking them for a spin along the beach. That would be courting disaster.

7. Re: Is there more to airlie than boat trips.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 20, 2015