We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a boat to sail the Whitsundsays

Dublin
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing a boat to sail the Whitsundsays

Hi folks. A quick question for you ... at late notice. We (my wife and I - we're 30-somethings!) arrive in Airlie Beach in four days' time and are hoping to book a sailing trip for maybe 3 days and 2 nights or 3 days and 3 nights. We're trying to avoid "party boats" and hope to have a trip that's relaxing and allows a bit of snorkelling/diving on the way.

I know people find it difficult to make recommendations for sailing trips but could anyone, please, let us know if they have any experiences of nice, quiet, relaxing trips and which boat(s) they have used. Much appreciated!!!

Ciaran

Mentioned in this post
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing a boat to sail the Whitsundsays

Solway Lass

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing a boat to sail the Whitsundsays

Ciaran2006 if you let me know what day you arrive I would be able to tell you exactly what boats leave on that day. There are some great boats run by some very reputable companies that show you a great time, but sadly there are still some cowboys to be aware of. I would recomend you get on a cruise that goes out to The Great Barrier Reef as these will show you the best the Islands have to offer as well as those special Reef spots that are magical.

There are a few different trips to The Reef run by a few different companies, some of the betterreef trips are

Anaconda 111

Whitsunday Magic

Pacific Star

Kiana

Spank Me

None of these are so called party boats although the odd beveragewill be downed after a hard day relaxing. Because these are run by different companies your best bet is to get in touch with a local agent, and let them know when you want to sail and see whatthey have abvailable from the selection of different companies they may even be able to save you a couple of hundred dollars by using stand/ by rates. check these guys out and tell them what you want.

www.whitsundayaccommodation.net

www.airliebeach.com cheers airlian

Mentioned in this post
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing a boat to sail the Whitsundsays

We just got back from a 3D-3N on the Whitsunday Magic and I can heartily reccomend it. It is defintely not a party boat, as we went out of our way to avoid ending up on one. The Captain preferred to call it "a gentleman's sailing vessel".

The crew is fantastic and everyone goes out of their way to make you comfortable. We loved our timber pannelled cabins, sit down dinners, gorgeous food, snorkelling (no diving) and some hands-on sailing.

Met some great people from around the globe - from students in their 20s to a 50+ couple campervaning around Australia and everything in between.

They ran on a fairly flexible schedule taking in the best spots, weather and individual preferences.

A little on the expensive side, but well worth the money.

Mentioned in this post
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach