We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long term backpackers with social atmosphere

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
long term backpackers with social atmosphere

Hi everyone I could really do with some help please!

I have read all the reviews on TA but would like some real time information rather than relying on what may or may not be genuine reviews.

I need to book a backpackers for my son whos 20 he would like something thats got a good social scene as he is travelling alone but dosn't need to be a party place.

He will be looking for work in the boat/yacht/tourism industry while he's there so is hoping for a backpackers that has people that stay for more than one night before heading off to the Islands or where ever.

On the trip advisor backpacker reviews Backpackers by the Bay came up number 1 but all the latest reviews were done by people with only 1 review and no personal or travel details on their profile which makes me suspect they aren't "real" reviews.

I've got my fingers crossed for some good info.

Thanks so much

frazz

So far I've shortlisted Nomads, Base, and Airlie Waterfront Backpackers.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long term backpackers with social atmosphere

Hi ,frazzledfozzle,

IME he would be best served by finding a "share house" or flat soon after he arrives as these generally work out better for working visitors. Obviously this sort of thing is best sourced with local knowledge rather than over the net.

I don't have any current knowledge of the backpacker scene in Airlie Beach but a nephew tried a similar scheme to what your son is planning a few years ago. He was working shift work and the backpackers where he stayed made sleep impossible. He left the back packers as soon as he could.

Cheers,

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long term backpackers with social atmosphere

Thanks for that OZRCFLYER,

He's been in a sharehouse in Cairns I didn't realise it was something that was available throughout Australia :)

Will go and have a look see what I can see :)

cheers

frazz

airlie beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long term backpackers with social atmosphere

i second the idea of staying at one of the backpackers, by the bay, nomads, magnums, waterfront.

Got to bucks seafood they have a good rental notice board on there wall. Check that out.

Sharehouses are just a concept that people describe when renting rooms to others hence share a house. :)

Walk the marina and show that you are keen. unless got special skills many try and get work here on boats so it can take some time to get a job.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: long term backpackers with social atmosphere

Thanks for that info cre8stuff :)

He's done alot of boat/yacht stuff here in NZ and has various qualifications for Deckhand work in the Super yacht industry along with first aid small mechanics etc etc and his ENG1.

Before heading over to Oz he had just finished a catamaran delivery from Opua here in NZ to Tonga so has some blue water experience.

It's been a hard industry for him to get into but he's trying hard and I'm sure he will get something soon :)

He's keen on being a deckhand for day/overnight trips but is not fussy and would take anything even be great to get some work in exchange for a room and a sandwich, or if he gets really desperate just a sandwich :)

If he dosn't get work soon his money will run out and he will be back home!

The sharehouse in Cairns was run by a company called Cairns sharehouse and they had about 3 or 4 houses and would put people in whatever house had a room spare whereas the sharehouse situation in Airlie Beach is as you say more like what we have here in NZ where it's a privately done thing.

He's booked in at Base because they had a four bed dorm and cheaper internet :)

Thanks again to you and OZRCFLYER for your help it's been much appreciated :)

Cheers

frazz

5. Re: long term backpackers with social atmosphere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 29, 2014