We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 2-3night - Airlie, Hayman, Long Island?!?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 2-3night - Airlie, Hayman, Long Island?!?

This will be our first time to GBR and We are looking to stay around 7 nights on Hamilton but considering 2-3 nights somewhere else. Is Airlie worth the trip, is there much to do other than island hop which we can do from HI? Long Island and Hayman look a little 'dated' and run down, any feedback on this?

Any other suggestions for the 2-3night stay for a couple in their 20-30's looking to see our beautiful GBR. Travel will be early June 2013, budget isn't really a big factor (far from back packers but not quite qualia)

Thanks TA's!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 2-3night - Airlie, Hayman, Long Island?!?

Airlie itself has a lot of restaurants and shops but most activities are based on travelling to the islands/ GBR. What about a liveaboard yacht for a night or two. Personally though, i would spend 4/5 nights hamilton then fly to Cairns and spend 3/4 nights there if you havent been and have the budget. Enjoy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 2-3night - Airlie, Hayman, Long Island?!?

Hayman had a multi million dollar refurb after Yasi. So it may suit but really the options would be the same.

Just reopened is Paradise Bay, note the pricing is all inclusive so it may not be as expensive as Qualia but still above budget. (Just food for thought)

I love the idea of a liveaboard, make sure you pick a quieter boat if you don;t want backpacker.

IMHO, Long Island is at the lower end but serves a purpose, not really any different to staying on Hammo for things to do.

Airlie is about day trips out however, you will have more options though than you have on Hammo as there are more operators to different locations.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 2-3night - Airlie, Hayman, Long Island?!?

Thanks for the info. Have you been to Hayman since the reno? Even current reviews on TA are saying that the place is run down/paint peeling off walls etc etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 2-3night - Airlie, Hayman, Long Island?!?

No I haven't.

I really don't intend to anymore, mostly because once they made it "kid friendly" it lost its peace and quiet. I don't like spending my dining time with other peoples kids running around a restaurant, grabbing at things on my table and mum and dad smiling indulgently at me as though their offspring is the cutest in the world. The issue isn't school holiday specific either. They used to have kids over our all of our stays but the last 2 just became ridiculous, usually families stuck to the Pool Wing and left the Lagoon Pool for adults (Management might even consider making Lagoon Pool adult only by notice?), but that seems to have changed and there is no where quiet to retreat to.

I may consider revisiting if a bargain comes up that I can't refuse and it fits a short escape.

5. Re: Suggestions for 2-3night - Airlie, Hayman, Long Island?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 24, 2014