We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Ice or Solway Lass

Ashby de la Zouch...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
On Ice or Solway Lass

Hi All,

Were coming to the Whitsundays for christmas as part of a 4 week trip, were trying to decide which boat to book. We ideally wanted to be on board from xmas eve to boxing day but ive only found maxi boats for those dates which isnt what were looking for. Were in our early 30's and want a social boat but not a party or family boat, something in the middle.

Both boats seem to have pretty good reviews and i'm sure we'll have a great time on each.

I've had a good search today and have narrowed it down to either:

On Ice from Mon 23rd to xmas day at 2pm: If it wasnt for the finish on christmas day this would be our first choice, i like that it is small and the extra paddle boards and kayaks.

If we were to choose ths one and we moved to a hotel when we got back to the harbour at 2, are the restaurants/shops open as usual on christmas day or are we going to struggle to find something?

Solway lass from xmas eve till the 27th. This is 1 night longer than we ideally wanted but the boat looks good and i like the idea of the rope swing but with this boat being so big is it able to reach the small coves etc and does it feel like there are a lot of people around when doing activities?

Thanks in advance for your help

R xx

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On Ice or Solway Lass

On Ice takes 10 passengers and Solway Lass has 32 passengers. Another problem which you may not have considered is if you are returning on Christmas Day, most accommodation houses in Airlie Beach do not open on Christmas Day. So before you make your decision you need to secure your accommodation. Both boats are managed by reputable companies and present well. And another difference On Ice is 2 d/2 n and Solway Lass is 3 d/3 n. On Ice is a fibreglass catamarn (2 hulls) and Solway Lass is a timber traditional monohull (2 hull). There are some huge differences between these 2 vessels.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: On Ice or Solway Lass

I personally love sailing and would go for the 3 night trip on Solway. On Ice is fabulous too, but I can never get enough of sailing and want to stay out longer! Coming back into town on the 27th is also a good idea as the 26th is also a public holiday.

Don't worry about not being able to reach small coves, all boats have a tender (a small motor powered boat) to get passengers to and from shore and snorkelling spots.

If you do decide to go on the one that gets back on Christmas Day, you will be able to get a meal in Airlie that night, but many of the restaurants offer a set menu with a Christmas theme at a set price per head. IN the weeks leading up to Christmas, you will be able to get more information on these dinner menus. I do my best to collate them and put them on the TW website at www.tourismwhitsundays.com.au/events.

Hope this helps!

TW

3. Re: On Ice or Solway Lass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 05, 2014