We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Muswellbrook...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

Hi, just want to make sure, can anyone please tell me if Hamilton Island is closer to Airlie Beach than Mackay? Thanks!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,044 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

From HI you have to get a ferry over to Airlie Beach and that can take about an hour.

There's a shuttle bus service from Proserpine Airport to Airlie Beach that takes a lot less time, runs more regularly and, from memory, is cheaper.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,943 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

If you are staying in Airlie then Proserpine is closer, however flight schedules often make the difference.

Prosperpine usually means a change in Brisbane (if flying from Sydney), whereas you can go direct to HTI.

In the past Guru has flown into PP (work) and I have flown later in the day into HTI then done the air taxi to Flame Tree or ferry across and i have been at the hotel before him

IMHO prosperpine is usually the cheaper slower way from Sydney and HTI is a more scenic trip but costs a bit more.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,044 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

GW is correct - if you are traveling from Sydney.

I assumed that because you are coming from Muswellbrook, you would be flying from Newcastle from where you can get a very cheap flight to Brisbane, then fly to Proserpine.

Edited: 9:05 pm, January 23, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,943 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

I never assume, which is why I mentioned the (if flying from Sydney).

We have quite a few friends that area and 95% time they come to Sydney...to many cancelled flights..

Muswellbrook...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

Thanks for all the informative replies. I think we'll catch our flight from Sydney instead of Newcastle.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

My sister often comes to visit me from Sydney and loves travelling via Hamilton Island as she says she feels like the holiday begins as soon as she touches down, and then she gets to enjoy a scenic hour long ferry ride through the beautiful islands! I can't argue with that. :)

Hope you enjoy your holiday!

TW

airlie beach
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

There are Direct Melbounre\Sydney flights now from Mackay Airport and transfers are available most days to Airlie Beach

Edited: 3:09 am, February 07, 2013
airlie beach
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

There are Direct Melbounre\Sydney flights now from Mackay Airport and transfers available most days to Airlie Beach check the Mackay Airport web page! There should be info on there in the next few days.

9. Re: Which airport is nearest to Airlie Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 09, 2014