We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlie Beach in a few hours

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Airlie Beach in a few hours

I will be in Airlie Beach from 12:00pm to 7:00pm on the month of July. What would be the single most important place to visit considering the fact that we will be there for only 7 hours? Can I go scuba diving or is it too late since I will get there at midday?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlie Beach in a few hours

I think that the main attraction of Airlie Beach is that it is the launching point to get out to the Whitsundays. The town itself is very small. Our favourite destination was the swimming lagoon on the beach. We spent a lot of time there (but we were staying with friends in town). We did a really nice walk to Coral Beach out of Shute Harbour.

Getting out on the water would be the number one thing to do there though. Not sure if there are options that would work for the time that you have though. Take a look at these guys for some ideas:

cruisewhitsundays.com/resort_fulltimetable.a…

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlie Beach in a few hours

Hi Sandra,

I can see from your other posts that you are visiting Airlie Beach on a cruise ship. If you wish to go scuba diving, the only way to do this as a cruise ship passenger is to take a tour organised by the cruise ship. The timing is impossible otherwise. The scuba diving you would do is on the outer Great Barrier Reef, at a reef pontoon, and this is an experience many people travel a long way to do.

We recommend you consider the tours offered by the cruise ship, as you have a choice of some excellent tours, taking you to some of the highlights of our region, the Whitsundays.

If you choose to come into Airlie Beach for the day as an indpendent traveller, take the opportunity to go shopping! There will be markets set up by the beach, and take care of personal things like sending postcards, stocking up on snacks, browsing the local shops, enjoying a meal or coffee/cake by the beach.

Which ship are you travelling on?

We hope you have a wonderful holiday!

TW

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlie Beach in a few hours

I will be travelling on the Dawn Princess but they do not offer the scuba diving trip that day since we arrive at noon. That is very sad because we wanted to dive. Is there a way to do an independent dive at that time or is it too late?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlie Beach in a few hours

Which day in July?

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlie Beach in a few hours

July 23rd and the ship is scheduled to arrive at noon and leave at 7pm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlie Beach in a few hours

Have just returned from 11 days in Airlie with my Family . Airlie Beach is the worst holiday destination I have been to . Airlie as the first impression of the whitsunday coast is a Dirt Discusting place As a Domestic Tourist Airlie needs to wake up to its self. Airlie would be why Aussies spend their tourist dollars overseas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airlie Beach in a few hours

Do yourself a favor and stay on board Airlie Beach is a TOILET

8. Re: Airlie Beach in a few hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 23, 2013