We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sailing cruise help for easter weekend

5 posts
Save Topic
sailing cruise help for easter weekend

Hello,

Originaly my plan was to go into airlie beach and book a sailing trip that was recommend by the hostel, however on doing some research i see i will be in airlie (april 4) around easter wekend. So therefore i think advance booking is the better option.

i am a 29 year old male solo traveller, looking to interact, have fun but also enjoy the experience. preferable looking to aviod trips with older couples if possible due to the solo travelling.

does anyone having any pointers in where to start for sailing trips? looking for thu/fri depart

Cheers in advance

Crissy

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sailing cruise help for easter weekend

Hi Cris,

You're in luck! You should have a fairly good range to choose from. Do you want to do 1 night or 2?

1 night trips on those days would be: Waltzing matilda, Siska and Hammer at www.whitsailing.com and Iceberg at www.isailwhitsundays.com.

2 night trips would be: Silent Night, Kiana, Alexander Stewart, Summertime, SV Whitehaven and Wings III with www.whitsailing.com;

and Condor, Boomerang, British Defender, Southern Cross, Ragamuffin II and Powerplay with www.explorewhitsundays.com;

and On Ice and Blizzard with www.isailwhitsundays.com;

and finally Atlantic Clipper and New Horizon with www.truebluesailing.com.au.

These are quite varied, although all will be more likely to be good fun for a single guy than a couple of other boats that we have not listed. Some are fast racing maxi yachts, some are catamarans, some wooden tallships. Each has different features so we recommend you do some further reading and try to narrow down the type of boat you'd like to go on.

If your dates change, there are some 3 night trips that depart on other days of the week that would also be great fun.

Have fun narrowing down this list - sorry to overload you with options! :)

TW

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sailing cruise help for easter weekend

Solo traveller also looking to book a trip over Easter weekend (April 7th departure). The Explore Whitsundays option are at the top of my list due to price and earlier Saturday departure time. Thoughts on the "Whitsunday Adventurer" vs "Powerplay"? Also - how much time is spent on the islands/land to allow for exploring?

I'm really into photography and want to make sure I'll have ample time for picture taking before committing to the 2 night trips. If the vast majority of the time is on the boat I'm thinking that I may get a more varied experience by doing 1 night on the water and the rest of the time exploring local area by car and/or ferry to other islands?

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sailing cruise help for easter weekend

You'll see SO much on a 2 night sailing trip rubaflo. You should definitely do it! Don't underestimate how amazing the islands are from the water, but you would also get ample time for exploring islands. There are some places you can only get to on these overnight sailing trips that day trips can't take you to.

Powerplay is a motor catamaran that takes 18 passengers, typically a younger market, it's an awesome fun trip! Adventurer takes 12 and is a sailing cat. They both offer onboard diving, BYO drinks and a similar range of destinations visited.

Although... my little cheat sheet tells me that Powerplay visits the Aboriginal Caves at Nara Inlet and Adventurer visits the lookout at Hill Inlet - can anyone else in the local industry confirm whether both vessels can and do visit both sites?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sailing cruise help for easter weekend

Thanks for the feedback. Decided to go ahead and book the PowerPlay, can't wait!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sailing cruise help for easter weekend

I too am looking at a two night sailing trip but there is just so much choice! I can't decide... I have been looking at the sailing-whitsunday website which appears to offer the best deals- are they a company that is safe to go with?

Airlie beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sailing cruise help for easter weekend

Hi we did that on a yacht called Kasella and with the owners we had a fantastic time and cheap didn't the world as they said they were playing it forward as their kids were travelling at the time, win for us. Cheers P

7. Re: sailing cruise help for easter weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 20, 2014