We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

My husband and I will be in Airlie Beach in a couple of weeks. The problem is that he HATES boats and gets very sick - tablets don't work. So we are looking to go to an island very near Airlie so we don't have to be on a boat for more than say 30 mins. We would like to stay there for a night or two in a nice resort and be able to snorkel off the beach. Any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

Have you thought about just flying into Hamilton Island ? ?

www.hamiltonisland.com.au/

Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

We will have a campervan and will be driving up from Brisbane so flying is not an option. How far would it be by boat?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

Hamilton is about 1hourish by boat transfer. Your nearest options are daydream and long island. If $$ allow then perhaps look at paradise bay. An alternative is to fly into Hamilton island from flame tree which is the small grass strip located near Shute harbour

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

Whitsunday Airport is no longer a dirt strip it has a magnificent asphalt runway and is an aviation estate where people can fly their aircraft directly into their hanger/garage.

All of your scenic flights are still located there as are your island transfers.

GW it is surrounded by beautiful gardens next time you pop up check Whitsunday Airport out you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

Time flies....

....LOL most of the time now i don't notice what I land on.....and I haven't flown into Flame tree in awhile :(

It always has been surrounded by lush greenery and IMHO is one of the best transfers in the whits..scenic transport and no seasickness!

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

If you go to Hamilton Island to stay the boat journey is exactly 30 minutes. Hamilton is serviced by Fantasea.

if you go to Daydream Island or Club Croc Long Island the boat journey from Abel Point to Daydream Island is 30 minutes then they stop there for a couple of minutes and then another 20 minutes to Club Croc Long Island.

Now as for your snorkelling directly off an island where you are staying, this could be tricky. There is a very small reef off the back of Daydream Island however it is not the Great Barrier Reef with its abundance of colour, reef and marine animals. Hope this helps.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

HI MiseIreland,

Daydream and Long Island are located closest to the coast, and there's usually very smooth water between the two. It's quite protected because of the surrounding islands.

It shouldn't be an issue on a journey like this, bu if you are worried about sea sickness, there are a umber of different types active ingredients in seasickness tablets, a local pharmacist can help you find something that your husband hasn't tried before. It's smoother to sit towards the back of the boat (not right up close to eh engines though), and I find it's nicer up on the top deck where you can get the fresh air on your face.

For an added thrill, you can get a helicopter from the (now wonderful, fully surfaced) Whitsunday Airport at Flametree. The airport is about 5 minutes to the east of Airlie Beach by car. The scenic helicopter transfer will be a highlight of your trip, provided your husband doesn't mind travelling by air.

You can travel to Hamilton Island by boat, but as it is a bit further off the coast and has to cross the Whitsunday Passage which can be a bit choppier on a windy day. Sometimes it's as flat as glass though, so it really depends on the weather on the day.

Air Whitsunday operates an Air Links transfer service from the same airport at Flametree, and they can take you to Hamilton Island by air and land at the airport, or by seaplane to Daydream or Long Island and land on the water. It's a wonderful way to see the Whitsundays!

We hope you find a solution and that you have a wonderful holiday!

TW

Airlie Beach
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

I would go to Daydream as it is only 30 mins on the boat and the water is very smooth going out there as all protected by the surrounding islands. It can be a lot rougher going out to Hamilton as it is further. I have been on the boat many times to both destinations and I too suffer from sea sickness. I have never felt sick going out to Daydream but felt rather green when arriving at Hamo. Long Island needs a revamp so wouldn't recommend it. Daydream is a nice place for 2 days if you just want to unwind and relax. There is more to do on Hamo, so flight option is a good option too if your hubby doesn't suffer from motion sickness.

Sydney
Level Contributor
178 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

How about just staying somewhere nice at Airlie, probably cheaper than any of the islands (+ferry costs) and flying out to the reef?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any recommend an island very near Airlie Beach?

Would also recommend Daydream Island as others have mentioned - close proximity means a short trip, and they have a fairly luxurious resort (website is http://www.daydreamisland.com ). As others have said though, you will pay a lot more for island rather than mainland accommodation on Airlie itself, but if price point isn't an issue then I say go for it.

Good luck!

Edited: 10:05 pm, August 24, 2011