We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
3 posts
Save Topic
Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

We went on the Prima Boat Trip around the Whitsundays in December 2010.

I would strongly NOT recommend the Prima boat to anybody. The cabins are tiny, hot and uncomfortable. The boat is also quite small especially when there are over 10 people on it. The food was disgusting, frozen 'ready made' meals I wouldn't serve to a dog.

Maybe we caught Captain Steve on a bad day (2 days that is) but he was very unfriendly, he did show glimmers of passion for the area but this was largely overawed by his rudeness and grumpiness.

The whole fibe on the boat wasn't great, probably down to the Captain and the ships mate. To be honest there was a nice trainee German girl on the boat who was normal.

To top it all off every night the owner of the boat company sailed allong side our boat in his luxary boat and had his BBQ with fresh fish caught that day while we ate our defrosted 'food'.

The heat at night was unbearable and for what we paid for the trip we expected to have air con or even a fan at least.

I would recommend you try getting kidnapped by Somalian pirates rather than go on the Prima boat around the Whitsundays.

Do sail around the Whitsundays as it is amazing just be careful on what boat you pick. The travel agents down on Arile Beach will recommend the best boats, pay the few dollars extra as you want to remember the trip for, unfortunately we trusted reviews on the net and booked before we arrived to Arlie Beach.

Byron Bay, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

Hi all,

Just wanted to relay my experience:

Have just spent 3 days on the Prima (mid Jan 2013). Kerry, owner was very welcoming on the quay, and we spent a very enjoyable 3 days with Craig (skipper and owner) and Casey (?sp) deckie. Having the owner be your skipper bodes well, beause Craig has obviously invested a lot of time and effort into refurbishing the Prima. You can now be sure that the boat runs like new, and his knowledge as skipper shone through with a relaxed and pleasurable sailing experience.

The space is small, and can get very hot at night, but bear in mind that this is a boat originally designed for this purpose, whereas many of the larger boats previously raced as maxis eg in Sydney-Hobart regatta. For this reason it seems that the sailing experience is much more pleasurable and less cramped on the Prima.

With just 10 guests the vibe is definitely more relaxed than some of the larger party boats. Admittedly a lot of the experience comes down to who you are sharing the trip with, but it is enjoyable to sit down to dinner as one group, whereas on larger boats the group inevitably fragments. Our group got on well, and we enjoyed our time in Craig and Caseys company.

The sailing was great, with space to move around on board.

The snorkelling was also nice, although I wished I could have had fins offered for all snorkel sessions (I understand that people may destroy the coral but this can be quite patronising to experienced snorkellers/divers).

Finally, the food was excellent, including home made desserts by Kerry.

Prima trips come highly recommended, if you are looking to relax and enjoy the company of your fellow sailors.

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

Wow we just had the most perfect experience on Prima, the food was great, Craig the Skipper was a treat. He had good local knowledge of some special spots to visit and very relaxed and easy going. There was plenty of room and not too crowded. We had a fun bunch of people that made it so enjoyable. This was soo good we'd recommend this to anyone.

Auckland Region...
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

My self and 3 of my friends spent much time and deliberation on choosing the appropriate boat to see the beautiful Whitsunday islands and after our time on prima I'm reluctant to ever go on another boat...it will simply never compare!

From the moment we met the skipper craig he was made us feel comfortable and was set on ensuring that we all had a good time. On our private charter he catered to everything we needed and at the same time maintained his cheeky Australian humor. The boat itself is beautiful. Just the right size and perfect on the water. The activities we did were unbelievable. We got up early enough to see the sunrise every morning in picturesque locations picked by a skipper who really knows the area. We did many sundown snorkels, had Whitehaven beach to ourselves before everybody else crowded it, fed the eagles that inhabit the islands as the flew pastour boat saw turtles and at night got to swim in the phospherance which topped off our trip. The food was great too, I'm sure he had a chef somewhere on board below deck making the meals!!

As we sailed back to port we saw many other of the boat companies we had previously entertained that were full to the brim of people, it looked uncomfortable and crowded which is the last thing you want when you are stuck on a boat for 3 days! I felt sorry for them!

We made the right choice and I would do it weekly as the crew do if ever I should be so lucky!

10/10....5 stars however you look at it, it was great!

Cairns Queensland...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

I'm looking at booking this yacht for for my family group of 10 in July. I very wary of some of the booking agent sites. Can I book with you direct or can you recommend a reputable agent. Thanks

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

We booked our Prima trip through the number listed on their website http://primasailing.com.au/

Kerry was very helpful and gave us all the info we needed. Have a great time you won't regret it, only wish we could do it again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

Hello all,

my friends and I have been on this boat for a 2-night sailing trip recently (Easter 2014) and liked it a lot. The boat has a new owner and as such many of the problems mentioned have been sorted out. The skipper was extremely knowledgeable and helpful around children and people who can't swim but still like to go snorkeling. The 2nd crew member was also very helpful and assisted us in any way possible. The food was good (given the limited space do not expect a 5 star restaurant). The boat is fairly small but not overloaded with 12 people. There are still quite corners aboard. I'd prefer the Prima over larger boats that carry a lot more passengers directly proportional to their size.

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

Dear Denise

We live in Putney and have just returned from a similar trip to Oz. We too fitted in a trip to Airlie Beach but looking for a sailing experience. That was a huge disappointment. All boats seem to offer snorkelling though and great care was taken to ensure the safety of the participants. We bought our PPP/Airlie beach return bus ticket at the airport on arrival. Just look for the desk to the left, right next to the side door.

Good luck

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,299 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

It's very good and useful information Kay, but just so you aren't expecting a response, Denise posted two years ago.

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

Thanks, KVE, had not noticed year, just that she was almost local - in Croydon. Tried to find the comment again before posting to check but failed - and wondered! That explains it.

Happy Christmas

20. Re: Prima Boat Trip Whitsundays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 25, 2015