We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

Looking for a 2 night sailing trip for 2 single gals, 30s at end of March/early April. Looking to avoid the crazy party boats, but still want to have fun and hopefully not end up all couples. Mid range price would be good, can possibly go a bit higher, but not total top end.

On another note, I understand the space will be tight on the boat, but we'll have 2 weeks worth of luggage.. is there somewhere we can leave our bigger suitcases while we're on board so we can just bring a smaller bag? Lockers or anything on the mainland?

One last question.. what airport would we fly into for Whitsunday sailing trips? or is it driveable from Cairns?

Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

Luggage can be stored in Airlie Beach with either accommodation houses or the tour operator that you choose. You can fly directly from Cairns to Hamilton Island but it can take longer than driving. The drive takes and average 7-8 hours depending on road works. Suggesting a boat is always tricky but judging on what you have posted I would go for a vessel with 15 or less passengers.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

Hi CaboGirl,

Here are some websites to help you narrow down the options (or increase them, perhaps!)

www.whitsundayssailingadventures.com.au www.explorewhitsundays.com.au

www.truebluesailing.com.au/site/ourboats

www.whitsunday-sailing.com

See which trips have passenger numbers you are happy with, the required number of nights and you can check their departure dates too - this might help narrow it down to a couple of choices, then come back and ask for some specific advice, if you still need it.

There are also 2 locker hire places in the main street of Airlie Beach, one at each end of the main shopping strip.

The most convenient airport is Proserpine (Whitsunday Coast) if you are flying from Brisbane. Both Jetstar & Virgin Blue do daily flights from BNE - PPP.

Have a great trip girls! We look forward to hearing all about it when you get home.

Cheers, TW

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

Thanks all! Anyone know anything about the ship On Ice?

…me.com/whitsundaysailing/…on_ice.html

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

On Ice is a well maintained and professional boat. It does 2 days and 2 nights. In fact it spends one whole day at Whitehaven Beach. It has a sister ship also and it does 2 days and 1 night. On Ice is a catamaran and Iceberg is a mono hull. Two brothers own the outfit. You can leave your luggage at their check in point. Fine choice. Small groups.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

Thanks everyone.. I am hopeful that the cyclone doesn't do too much damage as w eare really looking forward to this trip!!

Wanted to throw another boat in the mix - how about Pacific Sunrise? the benefit to this one is that they offer diving.. I dive although my friend does not, and it seems there would still be other activities for her to do while I'm diving.

The alternative, would be to stick with On Ice, but I would do a 1 day dive trip either before or after..

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

That sounded very callous.. I am also hopeful, of course, that the cyclone doesn't do too much damage not only for my own trip, but with the safety and well being of the residents in mind too.. did not mean to come off so selfish!!

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

You will be extremely happy to hear this but Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays hardly suffered at all during the cyclone. It was a blowy night but there is very little damage - maybe a tree down and leaves. We are back to normal today and the boats are back sailing tomorrow.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

That is great news!! Am very happy for the residents and their tourism business!

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

Hi Cabogirl,

We are also thinking about On Ice, but we can't choose between that and Summertime. Maybe have a look at that one too?

If you have found any others then let me know! We are in exactly the same position as you!

M

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whitsunday sailing recommendation & luggage question

Try the Solway Lass, around 15-20 passengers, mainly singles, great crew and fantastic crew