We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Hopping

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Island Hopping

Is it possible to catch boats between the islands and see a few of them?

My girlfriend and I are exploring the East coast of Australia for approximately 5-6 weeks in late Feb and for the whole of March. obviously this is a lot of ground to cover but we have set aside approximately 4-5 days for Airlie Beach and onwards around the Whitsundays.

If we stay put, where do you think would be the best place to stay? In my mind I have this rather whimsical notion of waking up on amazing beaches and then strolling onto a boat to nip over to a neighbouring island for hopefully not a lot of money.

Is the reality drastically different (i.e. you can only get ferries or you have to backtrack to Airlie each time etc.)

Could anyone give me some help on this. Especially with prices of boats between islands if possible. Any links where I can check out websites?

Thanks. Any help is much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Airlie Beach Hotel
Airlie Beach Hotel
450 Reviews
Airlie Beach, Australia
Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Hopping

A crewed overnight sailing trip will work out cheaper than a few day trips, that way you can wake up on secluded beaches. It is not to easy to just nip over one island to another as different water taxi's have different contracts with the islands.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Hopping

Hi there,

That does sound rather lovely, but unfortunately it is a bit of a whimsical notion and not the reality. LoveWhitsundays is right, a few nights out on a sailing boat can give you that feeling of waking up near a beach, then nipping over to another island during the day.

Start at www.tourismwhitsundays.com.au for some info and email info@tourismwhitsundays.com.au for some local advice and help with the logistics.

If you base yourself at Airlie, do a 2-3 night sailing trip you can see Whitehaven Beach, snorkel or dive at some beautiful reefs, and sail amongst the islands. Then once you return to Airlie Beach you could spend a night or two at one of the island resorts, or base yourself in Airlie and do a couple of day trips. If you hire a car you can drive up to some beautiful beaches around Cape Gloucester and Bowen and check out Cedar Creek Falls.

Good luck with the trip planning and we hope you have an amazing time!

Cheers, TW

Mentioned in this post
Airlie Beach Hotel
Airlie Beach Hotel
450 Reviews
Airlie Beach, Australia
Whitehaven Beach
Whitehaven Beach
1,703 Reviews
Whitsunday Island, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Cedar Creek Falls
Cedar Creek Falls
176 Reviews
Proserpine, Australia
3. Re: Island Hopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, January 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach