We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding in Airlie Beach

New York
6 posts
Save Topic
Flooding in Airlie Beach

Hi All,

My husband and I are leaving for our honeymoon tomorrow. What are the conditions in Airlie Beach due to the flooding in the surrounding area? We are heading to New Zealand first and then to Airlie Beach on Jan 14th. It has been a bit difficult to find up to date information on the conditions. Appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

Happy New Year Natasha!

I am in the centre of Airlie Beach. It is hot, very hot however today we are enjoying a really lovely ocean breeze. There is no rain in sight at the moment. The weather man has been predicting thunderstorms for the past week and no thunderstorms have arrived as yet. There is absolutely no flooding here. However there is alot of flooding out at Emerald, Rockhampton, Condamine. Depending on your mode of transport it may not even affect you. So if you are flying - don't worry. If you are driving, Rockhampton will probably be a problem for you. However if will depend on when you go through Rockhampton. Rockhampton is 500 kilometres to the south of us. Our last lot of serious rain was October & November. If you want, you can post again closer to your time of arrival. But for now slip, slop, slap cause it is going to be just another beautiful day in the Whitsundays today. P.S. It is very difficult to get reliable information regarding weather. The media would have everyone believing that the entire area of Queensland is flooding. It is not the case.

Mentioned in this post
Emerald
Emerald
Queensland, Australia
Rockhampton
Rockhampton
Queensland, Australia
Condamine
Condamine
Queensland, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

I have a trip planned end of the month (Jan) Cairns to Brisbane with a stop to see the Whitsunday isles and Fraser. I am stressing out!!!!!! Should the main road be all reopened by then and will these areas be as pretty as the photos that caused me to book these locations as stops?

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

You main flooding areas are inland rather than coastal. You're biggest concerns will be the roads to get there as flooding has cut the Bruce Highay. Unfortunately no one can tell you what the situation will be like at the end of the month however more rain is forecast.

Oscar

Fraser Island
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

I booked a similar experience for December. It rained non-stop for 5 days, and we ended up getting out of Rockhampton just before the major floods, and flew home early. We were meant to go on a Fraser Island tour but couldn't get there because of the Bruce Highway being shut. With that much rain, the visability is poor, the roads are hazadous, and nothing looks like the postcards. Be careful to cancel early if you choose to - a lot of tours operators take off your credit card the total cost if you don't cancel earlier than 21 days of the tour. That was the reality when we were there last week, maybe the situation will get better ??

Mentioned in this post
Rockhampton
Rockhampton
Queensland, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

Hi Natash47!

I agree with AirlieBeachGirl! Airlie Beach is SUNNY, and the only water to be seen is the turquoise Coral Sea! The major flooding is about a six hour drive South of here...so if you are flying in, rather than driving, then you won't be affected at all. It sounds as though you will have a fabulous trip in Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays. Hope this helps. :)

byron bay
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

Hi ive also planned a trip up to airlie beach for my 21st birthday arriving on the 31st of jan flying into poserpine airport..

is the weather up there at the moment horrible? Is it flooding? and do you think it will be gone in 2 and a half weeks?

Thanks

Danielle

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

There's no flooding in Airlie Beach currently i.e. 13 January. All the flooding is in Southern and parts of South West Qld.

It is the rainy season for us here in Queensland you may get showers, but it will still be hot

for weather reports go to www.bom.gov.au

Mentioned in this post
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

Please all rest assured that Airlie Beach is NOT FLOODED. We are approximately 600km from the nearest recent flooding and over 1100km fom Brisbane, which is what has been broadcast on the news worldwide.

Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays are currently warm & sunny with occasional light showers.

Current weather information for the region can be found at: http://www.mywhitsunday.com/weather/ and if you have any concerns and would like to be speak to a local, you can always call the Whitsundays Information Centre on 1300 717 407 (from within Australia) or +617 4945 3711 (if you are overseas).

We hope you have a very enjoyable holiday!

Cheers,

TW

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
byron bay
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

ive heard that the road from proserpine airport to airlie is closed. Also does all the flood water end up coming out into the beach and make the water yuck like it does in byron after a flood?

Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flooding in Airlie Beach

Hi Danielle-lee, WE HAVE NOT HAD ANY FLOODS! It would be interesting to know where you got your info from? Airlie Beach has been blue sky's and sunshine right through out the SE floods. It is with miss guided info on this site that can kill small towns and amazing destinations. The people of Airlie and the Whitsundays are also affected by these floods with negative media and people like yourself posting un researched info. QLD is a big state which also has a lot to offer.

Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach