We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlie Beach and the Reef

Washington DC...
13 posts
Save Topic
Airlie Beach and the Reef

Okay I am embarrassed to ask a dopey question. I am swinging through Airlie Beach on a world wind tour from the US. I'll get there in morning on Tuesday, and was planning on leaving on Friday.

So dopey question -- are the Whitsundays Islands on the Great Barrier Reef? Everyone says I need to go see the GBR, and I was wondering if the islands are it, or I need to take a boat out further to go see it?

My plan was to take the Whitehaven Express one day to see Whitehaven and islands. No idea for second day. A boat to the reef?

Thanks!

j-

Washington DC...
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlie Beach and the Reef

Okay, so post more research, I think the islands are near the reef, and you can see some cool fish and stuff around the islands, but to see the reef proper you need to go out further then the islands?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlie Beach and the Reef

Yes right, you need to go further out, Google map is good, select the satellite setting and you can see the reef.

Also true there is still amazing amount fish, coral etc though the visibility is usually lower and not hard corals like the outer reef (as we call it).

Whitsunday Island...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlie Beach and the Reef

Hi J, Yes the Whitsunday Islands are apart of The Great Barrier Reef (same as Green Island off Ciarns), that is why you get charged an eviromental managment fee by GRMPA (who look after the reef) everytime you go out. What everyone gets confused with is the fringing reef (around the islands) and the platform reef (outer reef in the middle of the ocean). So yes you will experience the GBR on a daytrip around the islands.

You can see on the following map the Great Barrier Reef:

www.clickforaustralia.com/MapGreatBarrier.htm

4. Re: Airlie Beach and the Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, June 07, 2011