We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitehaven Express or Mantaray charters

Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Whitehaven Express or Mantaray charters

Very keen to snorkel.

Only have 1 full day to snorkel and see whitehavenbeach. How do I choose between these 2 companies. Please help. diane

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitehaven Express or Mantaray charters

Hi Diane,

Similar trips but very different I will tell you why.

Whitehaven Express goes to Tongue Bay and parks the boat. Does the 500 metre walk up to the Hill Inlet Lookout and the crew will give you a talk about the history of the island, aboriginals and you will go crazy with the views. It is fantastic from the Lookout. From there they go down to Whitehaven Beach driving the boat the full length of the beach to the southern end. You are on the beach at least 2 hours. They cook you up a fantastic BBQ on the beach. Lunch is served on the picnic tables and chairs. You will see scrub turkeys and goana in the picnic area. After this back onto to the boat and go to Mantaray Bay on the top end of Hook Island. This is where you go snorkelling and they also have a glass viewing boat. From here it is back to Airlie Beach. The skipper is the owner, the bus drivers are also owners of the business. You will be well catered for and shown a fantastic day.

Mantaray goes to Hill Inlet but not to the Hill Inlet Lookout. You will see the swirls of Hill Inlet but not the elevated view. From here they go the southern end of Whitehave Beach and you alight and have a swim. Lunch is served on the boat in your lap. After Whitehaven you go to Mantaray Bay for snorkelling and/ or diving.

If you are asking my choice I would choose Whitehaven Express. However Mantaray is also a very good trip but Whitehaven Express have just a few more features that add up to a more enjoyable trip.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitehaven Express or Mantaray charters

Thankyou for your detailed reply. Will pass it onto my daughter.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitehaven Express or Mantaray charters

yes.. ensure that you do the walk to the Hill Inlet lookout from Tongue Bay.. it's certainly well worth it.. remember the camera :)

Airlie Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitehaven Express or Mantaray charters

Hi

I don't know who answered the question but obviously they have never been on Mantaray.

Mantaray most definitely goes to the Lookout and has a guide who will give you a talk.

They then go to the bottom of the Lookout where you can play in the swirling sands, among the rocks, swim in the ocean or go for a walk along the Inlet itself.

You also get a fantastic smorgasboard lunch.

You will see the fantastic coral at Mantaray Bay where you ;snorkel and or dive, or just look at the coral and multitude of fish through the special viewers whithout getting wet.

5. Re: Whitehaven Express or Mantaray charters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:54 am, April 26, 2011