We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Money & Essentials for Holiday in Australia

ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Help with Money & Essentials for Holiday in Australia

Hi, am going on my honeymoon in august by bangkok, on to australia and then to fiji and am just wondering about bringing a large amount of money with us or maybe just using our credit cards also any advice or tips would be really appreciated on the essentials we should bring or stuff we should do while there, our itenerary is as follows:

Bangkok 3 nights

Port Douglas 4 Nights

Cairns 1 Night

Ayers Rock/Red Centre 2 Nights

Sydney 4 Nights

Brisbane 3 Nights

Fiji 7 Nights

Thanks, Caroline

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Money & Essentials for Holiday in Australia

Hi Caroline, congrats on your upcoming nuptials. Firstly, I wouldn't carry a large amount of money on you..credit cards seem to be the way to go these days and there are ATM's aplenty in Oz, however I would stock up a bit before going to Ayers rock. Having recently been there, I only remember 1 public ATM and things there are quite expensive, even for a short stay. With recent publicised scams involving credit cards overseas I would feel safer with some travellers cheques - the old saying goes 'never put all your eggs in one basket'. With your wonderful Irish complexions I would definitely pack hats, sunscreen and bug repellent. Even though it's winter here in Oz it's been sooooo mild, more like Spring so layers of clothing would be best. As far as Sydney goes there is miles of things to do and see..the Opera House, climb the Harbour Bridge, catch a ferry to Manly and/or Watsons Bay and enjoy the harbour views and great fish & chips, wander The Rocks, dine at The Summit for buffet lunch and revolving 360 degree views, take a bus tour up to wineries or Blue Mountains (2hrs each way). Check out lastminute.com.au for some good ideas at discounted prices in entertainment, dining, tours, activities. Will leave others to comment on their respective capital cities but if I can help with anything as far as Syd/Ayers Rock, please ask.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,086 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Money & Essentials for Holiday in Australia

My advice would be to rely on ATMs and use credit cards... do not use travellers cheques..they are now almost impossible to cash anywhere except booths..these have a very poor exchange rate and often charge commision.. Tuck some of your own currency away in a hard to find place as you can always change it in an emergency... There an answer about this a few days back ..use the search feature n the forum..

Whilst you must have sunscreen I would suggest buying it in Oz as ours seems to work better in our sun for some reason..look for Sunsense or one containing Titanium...lather up about 20mins before you intend to go out..it must be absorbed by the skin first..this is the mistake so many people make and then say the sunscreen failed..

Please don't lay in the sun for hous intially a syou will end up like a beetroot.. try about 10 min sun and then shade for a while... you can gradually increase as the melanin in your screen becomes activates..you'll end up with a tan that will last longer becuase if you avoid a burn you probably wont peel..

have alook at the posts on What to do in Sydney.. find a few that are to your liking and then ask more questions...

ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Money & Essentials for Holiday in Australia

Hi Guys

Thanks a mil for all your advice, i haven't really had much time to read up on oz yet as am so busy organising wedding and all! But if ye have any other tips or advice or places we are visiting or any reccomendations on what we should see please tell, also what will weather be like, what clothes should we bring?

Thanks Again Caroline

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Money & Essentials for Holiday in Australia

Alice Springs area will get cold at night quite probably down to 0c. Brisbane you will need warm clothes at night and on some days if the westerly winds blow, and that always happens around our Show Day.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Money & Essentials for Holiday in Australia

Hi there, Congrates on the wedding! Once you've been through Bangkok, you might find everything else after that to be expensive. Definitely go to Jim Thompson's house along Rama I Road, if you are into Thai architecture and arts, a rare gem in the city. take day trips to Wat Arun (temple buildings) across the chao prayah river. Visit the royal palace. At night head to Patpong, great market shopping, but be warned, it is rather seedy, but great eye opener. For high end shopping head to Silom road.

As for Fiji, there arent much to see in Nandi. Head out to the islands. The yasawa islands are pretty good, huge range of accomodation, from 5 star to backpackers. Find the cost of trips, accomodations etc to be similar both in Fiji and Aussie. For example, a day trip snorkelling out in the barrier reef including use of snorkel gears and lunch plus pick-up and drop off to be around AU$100.00

Hope this helps.