We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackay & Airlie Beach in May - advice please!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mackay & Airlie Beach in May - advice please!

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what the situation is like in Mackay and Airlie Beach? From the news several weeks ago, Mackay was hit with the floods really terribly. We had booked to stay at Mackay for 2 nights then drive up to Airlie Beach for a week. Is it still worth staying in Mackay despite the media reports? Or should we just drive straight to Airlie Beach instead? Thanks so much for your suggestions! Cheers!

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackay & Airlie Beach in May - advice please!

A friend just returned from Mackay and she said all is well... I'd still be stopping in at Mackay on the way through as planned. Hope this helps.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackay & Airlie Beach in May - advice please!

Hello, Yes there are a lot of families still suffering with the floods and will be for a good part of the year since it will take time to rebuild their homes. The local media here seems to be concerned that tourists have been scared off by the wider media coverage. That said the town is back to business as usual and unless you visit badly affected suburbs most areas look back to normal. Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackay & Airlie Beach in May - advice please!

Thanks so much for your replies you've helped make up our minds! We will be staying at one of the motels on Nebo Road and yes the media has made it sound really terrible and I'd hate for tourists like ourselves to cancel for no apparent good reason. Support the local tourism I say! Cheers!

Airlie Beach
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackay & Airlie Beach in May - advice please!

Hello Coco,

Sure, we had a lot of rain a month ago but it's all fine now. I'm in Airlie Beach and the sun has been shinning for the last 3 weeks. The great thing about it is, the temperature has dropped down! (26-28 degrees) It's not as sticky and hot any more. I reckon it's the best time to visit the Whitsundays. If you are unsure about the weather just check airliebeach.com webcam. It's alive and will tell you what's the weather looking like in the main street...

Yes, stay in Mackay for 1 night and if you have a car just drive to Eungella for the day. It's beautiful and you might be able to sight some Platypuses. Stunning walks through the rainforest though.

Nemo72

5. Re: Mackay & Airlie Beach in May - advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 24, 2009