We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping in airlie beach

mudgee nsw
1 post
Save Topic
shopping in airlie beach

travelling to airlie in july and wanted rough idea of shopping available. also need idea of food prices- is it better to shop for basic stuff at mackay on way from airport.any help appreciated-thanks kate998

Above & Below Photography
Gift & Specialty Shops, Art Galleries
Element Master
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Water Sports, Gear Rentals, Shopping Tours
Beach Book Boutique
Gift & Specialty Shops
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping in airlie beach

Nearby Cannonvale (just a few kms)has large supermarket for all your needs. Airlie beach has small grocery stores catering to LOADS of backpackers!

Shopping? There are a few clothing stores...most catering to tourists.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping in airlie beach

As Louise said in the post above theres a Bi-Lo in Cannonvale as well as butchers and fish shop. The Bi-Lo prices are the same as any city supermarket so all your food needs can be sorted there. Cannonvale is only a bus ride away from Airlie.

Theres small grocery stores in Airlie but the prices are expensive as you can imagine for a tourist precinct.

Restaurant wise theres a few good places, try Mangrove Jacks or my favourite Hog's Breath - (hmmmmm 500gm porterhouse steak). Theres also Pizza shops, Mickey Ds and KFC if you need a fast food fix.

Clothes shopping wise theres heaps of surf shops and the such.. didnt really pay attention to all that too much while I was up there though.

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping in airlie beach

As previously suggested do ALL your shopping at the big shopping centre at Cannonvale. The large Bi-Lo supermarket there is bigger than big and has everything.

For holiday dinning I would suggest Banjos at Cannonvale, Mangrove Jacks and Hogs Breath Cafe (the original one opened in Australia).

There's a squillion other eateries in Airlie including Spanish (Martinis), Chinese (Golden Palace, I think ??) Mexican (Sidewalk Cantina) and many, many others. For a romantic dinner for two I would suggest Alains at Cannonvale. You can also sign in to the Whitsunday Sauiling Club for late afternoon cocktails and the best sunset view in town. They also do lunches and dinners there seven days a week.

There a squillion other bars and a nightlife spots.

Airlie is a magic place - It has the rustic charm that maybe Port Douglas had befofre the money moved in.