We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips

Hi. My friend and I are coming up in 2 weeks, based in Airlie Beach and are wandering what the best companies are for day trips. We want to do some snorkelling, see some of the reef and whitehaven beach. We're on a budget since we've both just finished uni, so any suggestions would be great!!

Whitsunday Dive Adventures - Dive Courses & Half Day Dive Trips
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling, Other Outdoor Activities
Red Cat Adventures
Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ocean Dynamics
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Whitehaven Xpress
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips

Hi rowy85

I cant help personnally with this but if you do a search on the Whitsundays forum, a number of tour companies are often mentioned

I do know that the few times I have been at Airlie Beach there are kiosks selling day trips all along the street .. they seem to cater for visitors in your situation, students or travellers on low budgets

At least I can bump it up for you

Abbey

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips

There are some wonderful day trips available from Airlie Beach. As Abbey mentioned, just walk down the main drag (street) of Airlie and you will see so many shops selling tickets for seeing the best of the Whitsundays. (list below to check out details on websites).

My honest opinion, is to just catch the ferry and do some island hopping. Airlie Beach is a fab place to be positioned for your age group.

www.airliebeach.com/

www.whitsunday.com/whitsunday_daytrips.htm

www.seedownunder.com.au

www.airliebeachtours.org/

www.fantasea.com.au/

/www.whitsundaytourism.com

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips

Hi Rowy

The cheapest GBR day reef trip is now almost $200 with the average day trip to Whitehaven being around the $100 mark.

As nearly all students and backpackers alike find, It makes much better value for money to do an overnight sailing trip, Each night is spent snugged up it superb anchorages such as Nara Inlet, Cid Harbour, Blue Pearl Bay eyc.

As a student you can get a 3day boat from as low as $300 and for $100 including food per day thats great value.

Avoid non WCBIA boats, they are not registered with the Charter Boat Industry Association and you can easily get ripped off..

Google the Whitsundays and check for boats and agents, there are dozens to choose from, Check they are local, as only locals know which boats are old, new , refitted, condemned etc,..

Pick your boat then harrase owners and the agents for a good price.

For students and value I like Wings, Spank me, Iceberg, Condor, Eureka, Silent Knight, Powerplay, British Defender..

Not sure why the Abbey and Elley did'nt include

Cruisewhitsundays.com for day trips here they are are by far the best day trips here and the only one I recommend to friends or family

Skipper

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips

Hi skipper

The reason I didn't mention cruises was because I was answering the question

Rowy85 said they will be based in Airlie Beach and wanted info on day trips

Whilst I agree that cruises money wise make a lot of sense ... and I am sure a lot of fun .. boating isnt for everyone

Of course it is something they may not have considered and this gives them options ... thats all

abbey

5. Re: Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:55 am, March 27, 2008
6. Re: Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach