We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

HI there everyone!

I'm looking at going up to the Whitsundays end of Nov/early Dec to celebrate end of uni with my partner of 4 years. I was hoping to find a boat that:

1. Doesn't hold too many people (30+)

2. Isn't a "party boat" as such but is more about relaxation.

3. I would like to go diving but it not a necessity.

4. Price is a big deciding factor with us as we're "struggling uni students" but we're looking at the $400 mark.

We've heard a lot of mixed reviews about different ships - can anyone recommend any in particular?

Thanks in advance

Nat

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

Hi Laznat,

I hate to say this, but W/Islands does have a bad habit......

regarding people who post ONE post on this site.....

TA has strict regulations regarding self promotions.....W/Islands seem to be having a ball in this matter.

I'm sure, you can trust Airlian or Skipper regarding your questions.....

Do a search through TA...to see what suggestions are open to you about the boats.

I find it very interesting that the W/Sundays forum have people whom only have ONE post..........and NEVER to be seen again. !!!

If you are REAL, then I'm sure others will direct your post into the appropriate hands.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

Hey nat wings and powerplay sound close to the mark for you guys for a 2day/2night cruise and tallship called Soway Lass for 3days/3nights. Share accomm will cost you around $400 but private doubles will cost you a bit more. There is always the fleet of maxi yachts which tend to be a bit cheaper but they do lack creature comforts and in the words of a real eate salesperson offer open plan living. You will get cheaper cruises but have a think if a boat has you out for 3 days with all of your food and accomm included for $250, well you get what you pay for. Get in touch with some local agents explain your predicament and send their recommendations to us for an impartial view, I think we can still manage that on this forum. Nat this will be the best trip you've had so make the most of it, it's a beautiful place. cheers airlian

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

Hello Nat

Would have to agree with Airlian here

You have probably summed up Islandives vessels, With Wings my pick for celebrating Uni Students, . You could consider also , A3 or Freight train, or a Full maxi. Of some interest i have been told that Company Islandive now has 3 lady Skippers ( so the times are changing,) Thay have a very good website at islandive.com, so you can see the info on Wings. As Airlien said get some quotes, and think about booking early, November can be quiet busy here. Other choices for non dive, Sv Whitehaven, Avatar, Iceberg, Enid

Ps is Iceberg has been refitted and is on an experimental run

I got all the goss about this boat in the Yacht Club last Friday.

A fast 2day 1 night boat qulaity sailing boat running from the largest company in Airlie Beach "Oz Adventure sailing,"

Designed I think as a budget value loss leader, A bit like the way Jetstar operate.. Quoted price is only $200 or near there.

May have to ring the company direct on that one, or enquire through any of the dozen or so local agents..

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

I'm sorry Ellemay - I'm not sure I understand the meaning behind your post. I have looked at many of the posts already listed under airlie beach/whitsundays but felt I needed a personal view for my own situation. Sorry if this annoys you.

I've been trying to find pictures of the boats you guys provided - my partner and I were looking to get a private double so wings and powerplay are a little expensive at $450. Are there other cheaper catamarans? Or is it better to go on a monohull yacht? Neither of us have much problem with sea sickness, I was just thinking comfort wise etc. Which boats are faster? and have more room?

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

Hi Nat

It is hard to get private double cabin accomodation cheap.

The starting range will be around the figures you are talking and not much cheaper. The rumours are all true, You get what you pay for..

There is one budget catamaran here The steel vessel Togarra , takes around 25 plus passengers and has a top speed that may only be half that of the bigger newer boats. Most passengers sleep on deck, If you need cheap then that may be an option. For my money I would go share accomodation on a boat like Sv Whitehaven it is a good trip and is around $300 or a Southern cross or a Prosail maxi for a similiar price . If it costs $300 to stay on Hamo for one night, without food, is not $150 a day and night cheap for all travelling accomodation and all meals... The backpacker market here is why the boats are not twice that price...

Really cheap boats may have volunteer foreign labour in the galley with Pasta and corn flakes on the menu and often lots of little extras, They even make you buy your own ice, before you board...

My thoughts are go for a share cabin and the range is much bigger.

Skipper.

scotland
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

if you decide to go on the whitsundays go with atlantic clipper its wicked!!! its a real party boat and the staff is amazing!! you also get a free intro dive if you want if you dont want to then you have plenty opportunties to go snorkling!!! book it now

scotland
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

if you decide to go on the whitsundays go with atlantic clipper its wicked!!! the staff is amazing!! you also get a free intro dive if you want if you dont want to then you have plenty opportunties to go snorkling!!! book it now

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

Yep you read the post well and recommended the exact opposite of what she asked for. No party boat, not alot of people. Clipper holds twice as many. I'm glad you've decided to join the forum, but maybe a different boat would be a good suggestiom for Nat. cheers airlian

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

Thanks Airlain :) You pretty much read my mind. I did look at Atlantic Clipper (now known as just "The Clipper" I believe) previously but I decided that wasn't the type of holiday I wanted. Plus around the time of year (Early Dec) there would probably be a lot of "schoolies" etc - and I soooooo want to avoid them :|

My partner and I are thinking we might change our arrival date so that we could go on the catamaran Powerplay - it is a little expensive but we might get the semi private doubles or something to save on money. Just got to work out if thats possible with the tickets and vouchers we hold :| Fingers crossed!

10. Re: Whitsunday Sailing - recommended boats for season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 08, 2009