We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

Hi,

My fiancé and I are looking into accommodation for our honeymoon in April next year. Does anyone have any tips for some romantic accommodation in either Palm Cove or Port Douglas? We were hoping for self-catering and maybe an adults only place if possible.

We were also hoping to get by without a car for most of the time, is that possible in either PC or PD?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

Hi,

PD is more suited without a car.

For luxury apartments - depending on your budget ??

http://www.mandalay.com.au/

Wotif also has a good selection to check rates & availability.

wotif.com/hotels/australia-qld-port-douglas-…

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

palm cove seems to be more honeymooner orientated,quieter.

you could get by without a car,transfer from Cairns airport vice versa is easily organised.(if flying in)

you could get by without a car,depending upon what you want to do.You could easily hire a car for a day or two if needed in Palm cove.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

Adults only resorts around NQ are rare.

Have a look at Sarayi at Palm Cove, across the road from the beach and close to restaurants etc. As Lilyana mentioned it is a bit quieter in PC

You can get local buses into Cairns if you wanted to go there. Even up to PD if you wanted.

all the best with the honeymoon planning. LTB

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

Palm Cove is an easy taxi ride from Cairns airport .

You may not even need a car, with a good choice of cafes , shops and restaurants only a short stroll away, and with many resorts right on the the beach front

A lovely choice for a honeymoon , ( hubby and I stayed there and have holidayed there several times since )

Philly, PA
Level Contributor
758 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

We stayed in Palm Cove at the Sea Temple. This was a nice, quiet place. We had a studio room (no kitchen) but there are apartments. Some with rooftop bbqs and hot tubs I think! We had a ocean view room, and you can walk right onto the beach from the property, however it was stinger season so you could not swim there (but could in town in the nets). We did not have a car, had transport via taxi from Cairns to Palm Cove. Walking into town is easy and there are a variety of nice restaurants. We did small group tours on the days we wanted to sightsee.

We drove through Port Douglas on the tours to pick up others. PD is much more spread out it seems and also further away from Cairns.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

I love Palm Cove because its very quiet and scenic but in my personal opinion I think that having a car and at least doing a day in Port Douglas is a good idea. A lovely day trip is to drive up to Mossman Gorge for a walk/swim... something we do each time we visit., and just a wander around Port Douglas is a nice change from Palm Cove.

If I didn't have a car I'd probably stay at Port Douglas.. if I did I'd be more than happy to stay at Palm Cove. Unless you want to spend your honeymoon "indoors" (and of course there's nothing wrong with that on a honeymoon) there's so much to see and do outside of Palm Cove that a car would be convenient.

7. Re: Honeymoon accommodation in PC or PD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 28, 2012