We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
304 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling

staying at Palm Cove in November 2010 going out to the reef to snorkel on an organised trip , are there any good spots to snorkel with my own gear just off the beaches around Cairns or Palm Cove?

Australind...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling

Not really much snorkelling right off the beach... You will have to take a tour out to the barrier reef... The good thing is, there's heaps of companies that run day tours, and there are even snorkelling specific ones... These have relatively small groups and its a great day..

I went out to the Barrier Reef with Quicksilver Cruises less than a week ago, and it was brilliant... There's so much to see... I actually did both of their tours, one to the Great Barrier Reef and the other to the Low Isles, both had great snorkelling... We even got to see turtles... :-)

Samsonsmum

Australind...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling

You'll also have to wear stinger suits no matter where you are at that time of the year... Just as we were leaving they were putting the nets up on the beach so people could swim...

They are provided at a small charge by all of the tour companies... ::-)

Cairns
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling

Have a look here so you are fully informed about the oceans at this time of year. you can swim all year round but just make sure it is a patrolled beach which is advisable all over the world cairnsattractions.com.au/cairns-jellyfish.php

Nothing to worry about at all

Happy Travels the weather is awesome

4. Re: snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 16, 2011