We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef trips for non swimmers

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Reef trips for non swimmers

Hi, my family and I will be in Palm Cove in July. Are there any tour operators who have the use of a glass bottomed boat at the reef, as two out of five cannot swim. Preferably a tour boat that leaves from Palm Cove.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef trips for non swimmers

No boat leaves from Palm Cove. You'll have to get transfers to Port Douglas or Cairns.

You could either go to a solid bit of ground, or go to a pontoon with good facilities.

Islands:

Quicksilver to Low Isles (PD)

Great Adventures to Green Island and Outer Reef (Cairns)

Ocean Spirit or Passions of Paradise to MIchaelmas Cay (Cairns)

Pontoons:

Quicksilver to Agincourt Reef (PD)

Reef Magic (Cairns)

I think any of those trips would suit you. Quicksilver to Agincourt would be my pick although they do take a high number of visitors. If big numbers deter you, look into Reef Magic who take a lot less people.

Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef trips for non swimmers

Great Adventures have a trip that goes to Green Island for about two hoursm, then the outer reef.

i dont think they leave from Palm Cove, though they offer courtesy coach pickups from there, so you could get the bus down to Cairns and then board.

its a fantastic trip, and plenty to do, especially for younger, or non swimmers.

green island has glass bottom boat and underwater observatory.

at the outer reef pontoon, there is a semi submersible tour, underwater viewing platform, sea walker and seadoo tours, all of which can be done without getting wet!

for non swimmers they have flotation vests etc and you can easily just bob around in the water, and be so close to the fish you can just about touch them

i would highly recommend this trip, it would be perfect for you.

3. Re: Reef trips for non swimmers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, September 25, 2009