We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

We're going to be renting a house in Palm Cove over the Xmas period. We would like to buy fresh seafood for our Xmas lunch. Can anyone tell me where is best to buy seafood. We really don't want to go to a restaurant on Xmas Day. Thanks. Jan

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

Hi Jan,

To my knowledge there isn't a seafood shop at Palm Cove.

The best place I know to get good fresh seafood close to Palm Cove is a place in Cairns, called Captain Cook Seafood. It's 351 Sheridan St(main road going into Cairns) it's on the right hand side as you go into Cairns. It's not a big flashy place, but is run by an ex prawn trawler owner, so he know's what good fresh seafood is, Very reasonably priced. If you are from down south, you may think cheap compared to what you would pay in Sydney or Melbourne.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

Hi Jan,

A little closer to Palm Cove is Smithfield Shopping Centre. A new fresh Seafood place has just opened there, and I must say, it's not bad at all. Most is freshly bought in daily, some frozen, but you'll always get frozen stuff anywhere.

I would contact the resort you are staying at and see what they suggest, you may find some places will organise deliveries for their guests.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

watching this one with interest for self, i note that they are staying at a house,so as Travelport suggested contact resort, and I was going to also, not possible.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

Hi, when we are in Palm Cove we always buy our seafood from Periwinkles, down the road near the university. It is located between Palm Cove and Smithfield. I think they also do deliveries and seafood platters etc. We were in Palm Cove in July and the new seafood place at Smithfield shopping centre had the worst looking fish I had ever seen. It was grey.

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

Thanks so much for your replies. You've been extremely helpful. In case anyone is interested, "Ocean Wild" in Cairns has also been recommended. Their website is http://www.oceanwildseafood.com/index.php

Thanks again, Jan

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

Just an update after returning from Palm Cove. The seafood shop at Smithfield is under new management and now has the most fantastic fresh fish/seafood/oysters. We bought from there4 times, and the freshly shucked oysters were fanatstic, also reasonably priced.

7. Re: Buying fresh seafood in Palm Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 12, 2009