We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Cove August

auckland nz
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Palm Cove August

has anyone been in August, does one get a tan, they say nights are cold, define cold please, eg sweat shirt, track pants or even electric blanket. Yes I know it's Australia, but went to Melbourne, freezing one day, boiling hot the next. Thanks Rosie and Ken

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Cove August

Hi Rosken

As a general rule the further north the less day to day (or hour to hour) variability in temperature. The Running joke about Melbourne, which is similar latitude to Wellington is that if you don't like the weather just wait you'll get something different in a few hours.

Cairns is something like 3000 km North of Melbourne - about as far away as Fiji is from Wellington so not really comparable!!

According to Aust weather Bureau the average minimum for Cairns in Aug is 16 and average maximum is 26 - there is of course some variation but unlikely to be significantly lower. I'll leave it to you as to whether you think that is cold!

As for the tan probably not but if your skin is very pale and you are sun sensitive you can easily get sunburnt if you spend several hours in the Aug sun (I speak from experience here)

Cheers skip

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Cove August

August is great, we usually holiday between June - Sep. Days are generally sunny, we will get a tan and will need to take care that you don't get burnt. Usually just long sleeves at night or a light jacket would be all you need. Definately no electric blankets required! I lived in Melbourne for a while and weather is not like that - 4 seasons in one day.

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Cove August

Hi Rosie & Ken,

I have a close friends who grew up in New Zealand, and has only lived in the area for the past 5yrs. By their comments, August is very similar to your late spring, early summer tempretures. The seas can be quite often rough, but you will have beautiful blue sky's generally.

Yes you can get a tan, but you have to very careful not to get sunburnt, as your skin will be very pale comming for New Zealand. North Queensland has one of the highest rates of Skin Cancer in the world. Being a local from the area, a suntan isn't very high on my priority list. If you watch the local TV news weather reports, especially the ABC's they will give you the UV ratings, an advise you how long you can stay safely in the sun before you start to burn, and do damage to your skin.

Hope this helps

New Jersey
Level Contributor
67 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Cove August

We were in Palm Cove last August. The weather was perfect. Sunny everyday with and in the high 70's/low 80's(sorry I don't know what the converts to). Most nights we didn't need any sort of light jacket.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
670 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Cove August

We were in Palm Cove last August also and the weather was lovely. Warm in the high 20's. Nights were warm too. You would only need a light jacked or cardigan for the evenings. It was definately warm enough to swim. Nights were not cold at all - about 20 celsius. Don't ask the locals as my sister lives in Cairns and she is wearing bed socks to bed now as she thinks it is cold at night. She is from Melbourne too but has become quite the cold weather sook since she has been up there. Perfect weather in August.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Cove August

Who knows - but lately temps are well below average especially at night. Last night in Cairns (Palm Cove the same temp) it was 9C; and maximum daytime temp of 22C; with record frosts on nearby Tablelands.

7. Re: Palm Cove August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 05, 2009