We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

Which Kununurra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
90 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

We will be staying in Kununurra and will have a hired 4WD. Is it possible to drive to the diamond mine, do a tour and return in the one day? If so, are there things to see along the way? Would appreciate any info.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

Unless things have changed recently, I don't think it's possible to just bowl up to the gate to do a tour. You need to join an organised tour from Kununurra. The Kununurra Visitor Info Centre is the place to go.

Yes, it's easily done in a single day either by air or road from Kununurra.

I'd fly: the Bungle Bungles from the air are staggering beautiful. The lake's not bad either.

Luigi

Edited: 12:24 am, November 26, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

I think Slingair Heliwork are the only operators that offer tours to the mine and their tours include a scenic flight over Lake Argyle and the Bungle Bungles, which are fantastic.

http://www.slingair.com.au/argyleDiamondMine

As Luigi said - the Kununurra visitor centre will be able to tell you the options available.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

We did the flight with Slingair in 2006. Highly recommended but it didn't land at the mines. Total of the trip was 2.5 hours (including pick up)

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

If driving there is a Zebra Rock place along that route. Articles made from this intereating rock can be bought at a few dollars cheaper than the diamonds(lol) You can take some rock home and try your own hand at some sculpture work.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

Not all of Slingairs flights go to the Diamond Mine- just the 1 that i suggested. They have a variety of scenic flights and the one that i'm suggesting is the one that does the mine as well as the flight- Tour X. It is a full day tour and it departs daily at 10.30am. You cannot self drive to the mine- you have to take a tour. The Zebra Rock Gallery is in Kununurra and is well worth a visit.

Sydney
Level Contributor
90 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

Thanks All. The advice is perfect. Slingair looks like it has what we are looking for. We'll also check with the visitors centre, at least we know it can't be done by road, and it would be a shame to miss the Bungle Bungles(if only from the air). John-in-Oz

7. Re: Kununurra to Argyle Diamond mine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:54 am, May 29, 2011