We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two hotels or one

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Two hotels or one

I am planning a trip to Patagonia and wonder if it makes sense to spend time at both the Singular Hotel and Tierra Patagonia. They seem to serve different areas, though there is some overlap with the Singular offering a few excursions to Torres del Paine. I thought of combining one or both with a cruise from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two hotels or one

Beverly,

You have made good choices in terms of the lodges. In my opinion you'll want to do 4N/5D at Tierra Atacama so you really take advantage of 3 full days in the park. Also you need at least a 3N stay to get your transfers to/from Punta Arenas (or Puerto Natales, but flights only run 4 days a week during certain times of year, and don't have as much choice). As TA's location is much better as regards the park, you should consider doing excursions such as the Base of The Towers or French Valley hikes (i.e. hikes contained in the park), as well as Glacier Grey activities.

Please note that Tierra Atacama has a fixed airport pickup schedule and keep it in mind when selecting flights (LAN has better on time rates and more flights, Sky can be on average 20% less expensive). The van departs from the airport at 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. daily.

The Singular is every bit fantastic as well, and they are a bit different. The Singular has more the feeling of a spa, and their excursions are generally a bit more laid back than at TA, so I suggest staying there following your time at TA. Certainly there is overlap, but the Singular offers a nice half day kayaking excursion, and their excursions via zodiac to the fjords are really neat and something that's quite different from what's offered at TA. Their location gives them prime access to the waterworld that is Patagonia so focus on those excursions.

And the cruise would certainly be a nice addition to this itinerary, or you may consider that you will have had ample time enjoying Patagonia and care to consider some time in Central Chile and the coast, the Chilean Lakes District, or even Atacama as it's a total contrast and incredibly beautiful and fascinating as well (love Tierra's hotel there as well, Tierra Atacama).

If you have any other questions or care for additional feedback, please don't hesitate.

Cheers and all my best in life's adventures,

Jordan Harvey

co-Founder, Knowmad Adventures

"One of the best operators" - Frommer's, Chile and Easter Island

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two hotels or one

PS - if you are don't have an aversion to horses, I highly recommend horseback riding in Torres del Paine (unrivaled feeling of freedom). TA offers a couple great rides!

3. Re: Two hotels or one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, December 17, 2013