We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Splitting time between El Chalten and TdP

London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Splitting time between El Chalten and TdP

After taking out travelling time, I will have 5 days (I know, just FIVE?) days to spend in El Chalten and Torres Del Paine. I will only be doing day trips. I am currently leaning on 3 days in TdP and 2 days in EL Chalten. I just want to know if people think that that’s a good split or should I consider some other split. Hotels in TdP are more expensive too I’ve heard.

Thoughts would be most welcomed.

Sean

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Splitting time between El Chalten and TdP

no, bad choice, only to reach Chalten from TDP you spare one day plus return, 2 days, focus on TDP plus one day to Calafate, stay in any cheap hostel in Natales, not inside TDP

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Splitting time between El Chalten and TdP

I agree with Fernando. There's no two ways about it: adding El Chalten is two days of travel so it simply doesn't make sense with your time restrictions. Focusing on TDP is better, but you are correct that hotels are expensive in the park as well as everything else. Hosteria las Torres is one of the most affordable lodges, otherwise if you go take the necessary provisions you can hike the W and use refugios (advance permits required) or camp. With your timeline however this will be challenging to get to Puerto Natales, get your provisions, and get a bus ticket for the next morning to get into the park. You lose a day there. For these reasons you may actually want to consider a lodge that handles the transfers and offers a range of exursions facilitating with transportation. Again Hosteria las Torres is on the lower end of these, or EcoCamp Patagonia to do an abbreviated W hike with lodging, although depending on your dates that sells out well in advance.

All my best in life's adventures,

Jordan Harvey

Knowmad Adventurer

3. Re: Splitting time between El Chalten and TdP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 20, 2013