We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilemma - Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique - to go or not?

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
906 reviews
Save Topic
Dilemma – Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique – to go or not?

We are in the final stages of planning our last stages of our trip in the far south of Chile. We cannot make up our minds and we wanted the advice from the excellent Chilean experts.

We wondered whether it was worth making the following trip. This would involve taking the Navimag ferry on Jan 27th from Puerto Montt to Puerto Chacabuco. It leaves Puerto Montt at 2200 and arrives in Puerto Chacabuco at 2200. Would we see very much and would the scenery be spectacular? We would then probably have to stay the night in Puerto Chacabuco and we would move on the next day to Coyhaique for a night or two. We would not go to the San Rafael glacier. We would then take the bus to Puyuhuapi and spend a night or two there before taking the bus to Chaiten and the ferry to Chiloe, where we would spend three days.

If we did the trip above would see very much more or many different things than we had seen already in Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego; El Calafate, the Perito Moreno Glacier and El Chalten; and Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales and the Torres del Paine national park? Another thought is that we may be a bit fed up with the cold and wet. By Jan 27 we will have been over three weeks in the far south and may not relish another week of the same!

The alternative is to not do the above trip and head straight from Puerto Montt to Chiloe. That would give us a week longer in the Chilean Lake Region. We would still have the whole of February in Chile so time in not an issue.

Many thanks in anticipation of your advice

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dilemma – Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique – to go or not?

do it, the best past is the entrance and travelling along Aysen fjord, waterfalls, cliffs, volcanoes, and the huge landslides after 2007 earthquake

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dilemma – Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique – to go or not?

Though pretty (and I was only there for a day in 2004) it was no more spectacular than the lake district (to which I return annually) With all scenery to experience in far south I wouldn't add this unless you have months.

Edited: 8:58 am, January 03, 2010
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
906 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dilemma – Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique – to go or not?

Many thanks to both of you for yoru advice.

Having seen the weather in the far south we may be glad to get north a little earlier

Rancagua, Chile
Level Contributor
186 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dilemma – Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique – to go or not?

The place you refer to is the Carretera Austral...

It's one of my favourite places in Chile!!!

The ferry is very nice, although long, the scenery is VERY different to the far southern Patagonia, and it's definitively not as cold as Punta Arenas/Ushuaia and around.

Chacabuco is not a nice town, but you'd probably have to stay for the night.

From Coyhaique to Puyuhuapi and then to Chaiten, things get better and better... From deforested places you run into deep forests, rivers and some glaciers.

You won't regret it!!!

I personally don't like Chiloe that much... maybe too much talking about it... I had other expectations... I don't know. But don't get me wrong, it also worth a visit!

Leave some time to visit lago Llanquihue, Puerto Varas (instead of Puerto Montt), Frutillar, and if you have extra time, a few more places northward...

Cheers! Have a nice trip

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
906 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dilemma – Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique – to go or not?

Thanks for the advice. It was interesting what you said about Chiloe. We intended spending 3 or 4 days there, and probably will, however I was there in 1976 and the memory of it that I have is underwhelming.

We are still undecided about the Carreterra Austral

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,533 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dilemma – Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique – to go or not?

If you have the time and can manage the logistics (buses not running the day you want) then the Carretera Austral is definitely worth the trip. It is nothing like the lake district. Do a bit of reading on internet about the Quelat National Park, Tortel, the ice fields. It takes some patience and flexibility but you will be amply awarded with some of the most dramatic scenery in Chile. If you are going to be in Patagonia beforehand, Chiloe will seem a let down I think.

You could bus from P. Montt to Bariloche and down to Esquel and cross into Futalefú as an alternative to the ferry, or return that way.

7. Re: Dilemma – Puerto Chacabuco, Coyhaique – to go or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 06, 2010