We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amount of gear needed for the W

jdbtraveler
12 posts
Save Topic
amount of gear needed for the W

I am trying to figure out whether I need to carry a full pack for the W or can shove as much stuff into a fairly large day back and hope for the best. I plan on staying in the Refuges.

Advice on what is the basic gear needed.

Also, I am a solo female traveler hoping to meet up with people on the W. Fairly likely?

Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amount of gear needed for the W

There is a very good list of suggested clothes to take to Torres del Paine at the bottom of this page:

torresdelpaine.com/ingles/…preguntas.asp

Weather in Patagonia is unpredictable at any time of year. If you are thinking of doing the W, you need the right clothes to protect you. You may find the list long but you might need every item on it if the weather turns nasty.

Although it is probable that you will meet up with other people on the W, it is not something to rely on. Unless you are an experienced trekker in similar conditions (not just someone in good physical shape), it would be a good idea to try and attach yourself to a group of others in Puerto Natales before you set off to the park. If you do not have the right level of experience, it is not a good idea to go alone. There are many worthwhile day treks in Torres del Paine which you can do.

The refugios usually get booked up months in advance, so make sure you know where you are going to stay.

jdbtraveler
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: amount of gear needed for the W

Thank you Dancing Molly.

A couple more questions. Do you think it is possible to form an adhoc group with people at Puerto Natales? In the alternative, are there agencies that help organize trips from Puerto Natales that don't cost a super amount of money-- perhaps agencies that you dont have to book too far in advance for (I am leaving monday...ahh)?

In addition, I was wondering if it possible to stay overnight in the park without doing one of the circuits?

Are there hikes were it is just one overnight in a refuge (go one way, stay at a refuge come down another way?)

Finally,I was told by one tour agency that booking in a refuge as a single traveler shouldnt be a problem... it seems like they might be incorrect?

Thanks!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amount of gear needed for the W

If you are leaving on Monday, contact Casa Cecilia as they can help organise things for you a bit. Or Erratic Rock, where they have a seminar every day about weather, safety etc. in the park. You'll find others at these two places to join up with and information about the treks best suited to you. There is something for every level of experience. The park is vast and varied. You don't necessarily need a guide service but you do need good information and they are generous with that.

They'll know what the lodging situation is in the park at the time you are going to be there and give you good advice.

4. Re: amount of gear needed for the W

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, September 15, 2009