We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refugios in Torres del Paine

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Refugios in Torres del Paine

I'm planning to spend 4 days hiking in Torres del Paine in November, but I'm having trouble finding information about staying in refugios. The hotels and hosterias are too expensive, and I don't want to be carrying extra stuff for camping either, so the refugios seemed the best option. I'll be driving around to the points where I'll start the hikes, so I'd like to stay in the same refugio the whole time. Does anyone have any good advice and information on how I go on about booking them? Also, anyone has any special recommendations for a particular refugio? Thanks a lot!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refugios in Torres del Paine

Not all the refugios are run by the same company, but you can book all of them, I think, by contacting www.pathagone.com in Puerto Natales and they can book the refugios and meals for you. Make sure you specify if you want the meals. You need to have an idea of where you are going in the park to choose your refugios. Are you staying in Puerto Natales overnight? Most of the lodging there can book refugios for you too. www.casaceciliahostal.com will show you the services some of them can offer.

patagonia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Refugios in Torres del Paine

The best located one (for your plan) is the Refugio ore Lodge Paine Grande, of Vertice. The building in itself is not nice and the service either, and is not cheap $30 US per night in shared dorms. I don't like it because it's pretentious and s bit out of place, but is very clean and safe. Is located in the shore of the Pehoé Lake.

Then you have 3 refugios that, even are not in the park, they are part of the hiking circuit, in the border of the park, they belong to the same company that owns a big hotel (Hostería Las Torres) this are the Refugio Chileno, Refugio Las Torres and the Refugio Los Cuernos, in my opinion the 3 are much nicer and with better service than the first one, but their location is not so good as "base camp" they are more oriented to specific parts of the park.

Then by far the worst ones in all aspects, except in the beauty of the surroundings are the Refugio Grey and the Refugio Dickson, that belong to a company named Andes Scape. This two smaller refugios are not clean ore nice, the service is really bad, and their location is not good for "base camp, is beautiful were they are but no good for going to other places and back from them.

I hope it helps, and have a nice trip.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refugios in Torres del Paine

Good question Teresa. I am in the same dilemma. We will also have a car and there are two of us at this time, possibly a third joining us for part of our trip.

It seems that it is recommended that you stay within the park but I have a few questions regarding that.

1) If we stay in Puerto Natales, how long is the drive to a few good hikes? We plan on hiking on 3 different days but we are not doing the "W."

Do any of the refugios have a website? I can't seem to find an actual website for the ones I searched for although I found a tidbit of info for each one.

2) If we stay outside the park, do we have to pay the entrance fee each day or is it good for multiple days?

Thanks!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refugios in Torres del Paine

Try this site - www.torresdelpaine.com/ingles/index.asp. I found that not all the links worked but most did.

5. Re: Refugios in Torres del Paine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 05, 2009