We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats happening with Sunquest travellors to GPB El Portillo?

Ottawa
10 posts
Save Topic
Whats happening with Sunquest travellors to GPB El Portillo?

I read somewhere that Sunquest is calling individuals that have booked to go to the GBP El Portillo to offer refunds but am hoping to confirm whether this is in fact the case. My husband and I are booked to leave February 6 but haven't received such a call.

At this point, we're still trying to decide whether we would even take the offer but we also want to make sure that if we decide the stick it out, we wouldn't be the only ones at the resort this week!

Notre Dame du Nord...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats happening with Sunquest travellors to GPB El Portillo?

We booked with Sunquest and were scheduled to leave Jan. 27-07. We got a phone call from our TA on Thursday, and they were giving full refunds because the ride from the airport to the hotel is 1/12 hours, the disco is not open, the sauna in the spa is not open and none of the shopping is not open. There is still some construction going on for some of the rooms as well. We took the refund and got a good deal to St. Maarten.

Ottawa
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats happening with Sunquest travellors to GPB El Portillo?

Ok - we just got off the phone with selloffvacations.com and our customer service rep (Jay) confirmed that there is an advisory for the El Portillo the week of Feburary 6. Selloffvacations.com was somewhat perturbed that Sunquest had not contacted them - it was only our call that prompted selloffvacations.com to contact Sunquest. That being said, Jay was great in helping us.

We were offered the choice of switching to another resort or taking a full refund. In the end, my husband and I went for the refund and have now booked ourselves to go to Sandals Hicacos in Veradero for the same price leaving on February 4. It should be a great trip and we don't have to worry about leaky roofs, no spa, no disco, construction, etc.

We'd love to try Samana at some point but just weren't willing to take a chance based on the mixed reviews.

3. Re: Whats happening with Sunquest travellors to GPB El Portillo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 19, 2009