We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

Is it possible to do Cano Hondo by ourselves? We will have a vehicle, but I'm unsure if we could do it because it's my understanding that the hotel is there as well.

I would do it with Arena Tours, but they only have that excursion on Thursdays and we'll only be in Las Terrenas Fri - Mon.

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

It is possible but convoluted! First you would have to get to Samana then ferry across to Sabana del Mar. The ferry is foot passenger only (no cars) and is an experience to say the least (I used to travel from Miches to Las Galeras every 2 months this way) Once in Sabana del Mar it's a moto concho ride (about 50 peso per person to Cano Hondo - which is gorgeous!. Just need to be mindful of the ferry times!

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

I did this tour a few years back and enjoyed. They run on Saturday. www.flora-tours.net/index.php?page=haitises

NY
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

tda, I got a chuckle from your post. We will be living the experience. I foresee us getting really tired towards the end of the excursion, but I hope it's worth it.

ben, the excursion with Flora does no include Cano Hondo. It's only Los Haitises.

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

Hey NYHJappytoTravel

do please let me know how you get on! Always interesting to hear visitors experiences!

Diane B

NY
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

Diane, I just realized that I never came back to this post.

We did do Cano Hondo and it is an experience to say the least. While we enjoyed it, I do not think we would do it again. The reason for this is the ferry to Sabana de la Mar. The ferry itself is not truly the problem. The problem is that there is no dock, so you have to transfer to a small boat ie, jump from the ferry to a small boat that gets you out of the water at Sabana de la Mar (at which point you have to be pulled up). The same thing again to get to the Ferry that takes you back to Samana.

Cano Hondo is brilliant. The water is really cold when you jump in, but it's fantastic. I do find that their service is lacking. My husband tried getting a cold one for himself and a beverage for my 3yr old son while we were there. He waited twenty minutes and then gave up. We decided to purchase in Samana instead. Language was not the problem as we are both fluent in Spanish. We did not take a motoconcho to and from Cano Hondo. Instead, we took a tiny truck. I sat inside with the driver and my son, while my husband climbed up on the outside portion of the vehicle. We laughed and we had fun. It was an experience, but I don't think I would repeat it.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

NyHappy

May I ask when did you take the ferry?

When I used it a while ago it wasnt like that!

The ferry will dock at both ends

I read somewhere that they had cancelled the ferry service so I wander if they are doing some work at the docks

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

WOW! I did not know you had a 3 year old with you... but I have been on the ferry when a 6 day old baby was a passenger (my heart was in my mouth when they passed that little bundle around...) You indeed are intrepid travellers and I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

NY
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

Sure Sarah. We were there this past August. The ferry docked on the Samana side, but did not dock on the Sabana de la Mar side. To add to the ordeal, the waters were choppy. It took us longer than anticipated to get to Sabana de la Mar and my son got seasick on our way there. On our way back, he felt queazy, but did not bring anything up. :)

Diane, yep, our 3 yr old is a trooper. In spite of getting sea sick, he enjoyed the adventure and asks when we will be doing it again. It's still comical. I think for once, we got to experience what a lot of folks get to experience on those tiny boats for days. I cannot even fathom having a 6 month old baby on that ordeal, let alone a 6 day old one. WOW!!!

9. Re: Cano Hondo - Can We Do It On Our Own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 12, 2015