We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

Staying there April 7-14 in a Club Diamond Julior Suite and very excited, but a few questions:

1. First one is silly, but I've stayed at a few resorts in the Carribean and it's not guaranteed: Do they have facecloths?

2. What sundries are supplied in the rooms (soap, shampoo, conditioner, sun screen)? Are they nice?

3. How often are they sundries replenished?

4. While I am in a Diamond Club, I'd rather stay in Bldg 1 by the beach...can you see the beach from your balcony in Bldg. 1?

5. If I ask to move, and they move me, will I get the same Diamond Club services? They room extras seem to be: •Towels for the pool and beach in your room upon arrival; •Bathrobe and slipper service in the room •Room service •Evening turn-down service.

I'd be grateful from hearing from anyone who's done number 5

Thanks! Regardles of the answers, I'm looking forward to this!

Any opinions on which tour companies to use and where the best snorkeling in the area is would also be welcome! Looking at a trip to Las Galeras for the snorkeling.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic
Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

the best snorkelling is most definitely in Las Galeras - we can direct you (ie draw you a little map) of one of our favourites, this is free, or arrange a trip for you with either ourselves or another company. Can't help with the questions about the hotel I'm sorry, as I haven't stayed there. I know you will have a great trip though

Mentioned in this post
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

Thanks! Any info you can send would be helpful.

As I will be a single traveller, I'm hopig to just take a tour. Flora Tours has a Las Galeras Excursion that looks OK: 3 beaches in LAs Galeras with snorkeling including Rincon. I you send me a map, I'l see if it's on it. I have my own equipment so I guess I could alternatively rent a car....

Mentioned in this post
Flora Tours - Day Tours
Flora Tours - Day Tours
949 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

PS Renting a car and driving makes me a bit nervous. Any experience with this?

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

Driving from Las Terrenas to Las Galeras is pretty straightforward, the road is good and pretty well signposted/

The snorkelling at Rincon isn't great as Rincon is just a huge stretch of sand and there are no real reefs to speak of. Snorkelling at Fronton is better BUT you have to be careful of the rip current that is there. Playita is great for snorkelling, we have a lovely barrier reef there and it is so good we dive there too. You have to know exactly where to go as there is a half dead reef in front of the pristine healthy one. Madame beach also has good snorkelling. Tibisi 1 and 2, which are dive sites, away from shore, is wonderful for snorkelling as is the dive site we call Blackbeards wall.

Mentioned in this post
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

Just out of interest, how much is Flora Tours going to charge you for the excursion and do they give you the option to 'tailor make' it for you?

Mentioned in this post
Flora Tours - Day Tours
Flora Tours - Day Tours
949 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

About $80 USD and it includes Playa Fronton and Playa Madame. The length is about 10 hours (8am to 6pm) and includes transportation from the Hotel near Las Terrrenas and lunch. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Can't be tailored, but it sounds like it's hitting all the high notes so I'm cool with that.

Here's a link: www.flora-tours.net/index.php…

djj

Mentioned in this post
Playa Fronton
Playa Fronton
146 Reviews
Dominican Republic
england
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

I would say that it is essential that you bring your own sunscreen they do not provide this in hotel, nor do they provide conditioner. The other products are packaged well but are above average for hotel stuff. Regarding face cloths, yes they are usually provided however they are also provided in the rest rooms to wipe your hands on, I am sure the laundry is first class but it is such a tiny thing in your case I take my own, not a white one, in case it gets picked up with the general laundry. If you need to buy in any toiletries whilst in Samana they can be a bit pricey as can batteries.

But it is a great place for a vacation

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

sounds pretty good, just be aware of the rip at Fronton, when you stand on the beach you can see it. If you do get caught up in it remember DO NOT try to swim against it, swim perpendicular to it and the boat skipper should be aware that if you wave your arms in the air you need assistance and he should come pick you up. I may be telling you stuff you already know and apologise if this is the case, but many people aren't aware of what to do.

If you clamber up the beach a bit there is a trail that leads you to where the remnants of what would have been the most fabulous restaurant in the area is. It also offers a great view of the ocean so don't forget your camera!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

Thanks! Good advice is always welcome advice, even if one has heard it before. Looking forward to it.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some questions about El Portillo I haven't seen before

If anyone is interested, I queried the hotel and got the following response (and kudos to them for bein so forthcoming!):

•Guest service representatives available from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm, in Hacienda/Diamond Reception or at our extensions 5334-5335.

•Free internet access daily, 15 minutes per room. At the Diamond Club Reception from 9.00 am to 11.00PM

•Welcome cocktail. ◦ Exclusive check-in and check-out service directly in Hacienda/Diamond Club Reception (Check in after 3pm, check out before 12 pm) ■ 4 “A La Carte” dinner reservations per week at our speacialty restaurants. Reservations at the Diamond Club Reception

■ Beach towels will be in your room on your arrival day inside the closet. Return the towels before 18:00 to get cards, every morning you exchange those cards for clean towels. For check out you have to present the towels cards, in case of lost US$ 20.00 per towel will be charge to your account .

■ The Restaurant El Gourmet. exclusive for breakfast (7:00am -10am) and lunch (01:00pm-3:00pm)

■ Safety deposit box available to be purchased at the Hacienda/Diamond Club.

■ Access to international newspapers in Hacienda /Diamond Club Reception

• Bath robes and slippers in your room on your arrival day. •20% discount on Spa treatments.

VIP amenities:

· Bathrobes

· slippers

· dental kit

· shoe polish

· Shower cap

· Shampoo

· Gel

· Peine

· body milk

· washcloth

· Iron and ironing board