We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Highway

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Toll Highway

In some of the reviews I've read, people have stated that many passengers on the bus to El Portillo got motion sickness because of the ups and downs and such on the long bus ride to the resort. Now that they have the new toll road which it sounds like most (Canadian) carriers use, is it a much easer ride in? I know the travel time is cut in half, but not sure if it is just generally a smoother ride so less likelyhood of motion sickness. Both myself and my son might be a bit prone to that extreme bus ride so I just want to see what that new toll road is really like. And can anyone confirm that all Canadian carriers use the toll road (Westjet, Air Canada, Sunwing, AirTransat/Canjet)?

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Highway

The new toll road is a beauty new highway built to North American standards with guard rails where needed and smooth asphalt paving..

Not sure which Canadian carriers actually use it because it costs $32. US for the tour bus toll.

I am hopeful WestJet will use it when I arrive on Feb. 23.

If they don't , we can pass the hat to collect the money from passengers to pay the toll and the driver will take the new smooth toll highway.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Highway

We went on Westjet a couple of weeks ago and were told by the Westjet rep Herman, that there was a crash on the toll road and we would have to take the long route. We were on a large coach. It took us at least 90 minutes to get to the hotel and so it was nearly 5pm when we arrived. I thought at the time that Herman was BSing us and it was about the toll amount that we weren't taking the toll road but I spoke to some people we met on the plane were booked with Sunquest vacations. They were directed to a smaller mini van. They were able to take a shorter route but also we're unable to go on the toll road. They went on a road that was very bendy and unpleasant but they were at the hotel in thirty minutes. On the way back to the airport we were on the large coach again and and took the toll road. We were at the airport in 30 min. Twotter is correct about the condition of the road...not sickness inducing at all.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Highway

If your ride was 90 minutes CalgarySailor then he went around the barn. The old way to go pre-toll road is a left turn just past the Texaco in Sanchez and then the long and winding road. It's very scenic but could be a dizzy inducing ride. The Toll road is best if you can.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Highway

If you look back at the pictures on the TA page for GBP El Portillo, I posted 12 pictures of the highway. I would not worry about motion sickness, since there is a lot of slow climbing and slow descents.

CalgarySailor, we were leaving just before you came in. We were in a smaller bus pulling a trailer for our bags. The accident was in the middle of the toll road half way up a steep hill coming out of a hamlet. On the trailer were 3 huge round propane containers, with the trailer half in the ditch and the truck and other half of the trailer covering the full road. We managed to squeeze between the rock wall the front of the truck. The road was wet from a rain shower and it looked like the truck didn't have the power to make the grade and slipped backwards, jackknifing off the road. As we went around the wreck, we commented that a full size passenger bus would never be able to squeeze through the gap we just travelled. I'm sure it was fun watching the locals try and get the truck and trailer back on the highway. They had a 3 ton truck rigged up for electrical work with a man-boom on the top. They were hooking up the small winch on that truck to the front of the big highway rig.....good luck with that idea. They also had a tracked excavator at the back that they were using the bucket to push the trailer forward. All in all, it looked like they would be a long time with all that.

I know that Air Canada Vacations uses the toll road and pretty sure about Westjet. We heard that Air Transat did not. But I'm sure that is all changing, since it is a time saver for everyone and the bus owner would be saving gas money with the shorter trip.

northern maine
Level Contributor
224 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll Highway

Anyone know what route Jet Blue travelers would end up going by??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll Highway

We were there in early January with Transat/canjet and took the toll road both ways

Ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll Highway

HappyCampers; Its funny that you wrote that because we came across that same accident heading to the El Portillo on the toll road.

We used a private transfer to our hotel and paid before we arrived with our credit card. We emailed the company and had an agreement that we would be using the toll road for arriving and leaving the resort. We had a copy of the email with us. We were extremely upset that when we were leaving the resort that the fellow that picked us up took the old route and argued with us that the $ for the toll route would be coming out of his pocket. We tried to show him the copy of the email but he said that he didn't understand.

We were travelling with our 6 month old son and were assured that there was going to be a baby seat supplied (this was also confirmed in the email). We did have one on the way to the resort but not on the route back to the airport. My husband had to use the universal language twice to have the driver slow down. Somehow he did understand that!

So on the way back to the airport, I had a baby sitting on my lap, with the seat belt strapped over him and me, hanging on for dear life and with all the bends and up and downs, I was extremely nauseated by the time we arrived and very stressed out.

Needless to say, I will never use this private transfer company again!!

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll Highway

Funinthesun.....Wow that misadventure sounds distressing.

Can you share the name of the transfer company?

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll Highway

i agree name and shame this company. i hope you complained when you got home because its possible the driver had the toll money and pocketed it himself ???

Ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll Highway

We were wondering this also; if the driver pocketed the money. The transfer company that we used was Dominican Shuttles.

Get answers to your questions about Las Terrenas