We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

We are considering the Air Canada Samana Roulette option re the GBP EL Portilllo and GBP Cayacoa for the first week in January 2013. From the postings above we are altered to be aware of Joel re assigning hotel location.

We are interested in the GBP El Portillo and its beautiful beach. Please advise us as to how best proceed.

Thank you.

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
759 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

did you check the prices on tripcentral.ca? Thats where we usually book from.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

If you actually want to be at the El Portillio, then book it with AC instead of crossing your fingers & hoping you get sent there with AC Roulette.

Last year we were going to book Roulette, but after looking at the AC Priviledges that we'd miss out on, we spent the extra $$ & booked the resort that we actually wanted.

btw...the AC Rep, Joel, does not assign resort locations. That is done by AC & the resorts themselves. Joel is there to direct you to your transportation transfer & is the Rep at a resort (which last year, was the GBPCayacoa).

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

Joel is also there to sell excursions, and warm you not to book with outside operators, he was taken to task by AC Vacations for this, he told me not to book with Terry's Tours, we were booked with Westjet not AC Vacations.

I reported him to AC Vacations management and received an email confirming that he had been chastized for this.

Terry knows this man, and warned us that his attitude sucks big time.

Edited: 3:06 pm, November 26, 2012
Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

Joel is one of the reasons, I will never book AC Vacations to Samana.

Las Terrenas...
Level Contributor
410 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

We have mentioned in many previous posts, to be carefull about this guy. We have now been living here for 2 years, and we have nothing but negative and horror stories about this guy from our clients.

We have seen him in action at the airport, when we went to pick up family and friends, and we had to restrain ourselves not to go give him our 2 cents worth...

Pretends to be nice when guests arrive, but sooooooooo rude to locals, bus drivers and all, pretends like he owns the airport...

Will stop now, could go on for hours about this guy, cant believe he still has a job

R & T

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

Trip Central is the easiest way to do the research and book....we have used them for years and book with Lisa Akenhead....she is fantastic to deal with.

Trip Central's price includes ALL fees and taxes, no hidden surprises.

I just checked TC and see the Roulette option for 7 days is only $766 for early Jan vs. $1300 for El Portillo.....over $500 saving.

However on Sat. Jan. 23, El Portillo is only $953 vs. $766. for roulette.

Check this out: Saturday, Feb. 2 the roulette is $1362 and El Portillo is $1043.

The roulette option is more expensive in this case.

So if your dates are flexible you can scoop up El Portillo for less than Cayacoa.

Just make sure you avoid Air Canada so you don't have to deal with self appointed Dictator Joel....I too am surprised he is still employed with AC or hasn't been eradicated by the locals who are fed up with his verbal abuse.

Edited: 1:11 pm, November 27, 2012
Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

Hey WhiteOak......CORRECTION to my post #6

Saturday, Feb. 2 for a 7 day trip from Toronto is :

Samana Roulette $1271 and El Portillo $1477.

My apologies for the error....the $1043 was for a 3 day trip.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

So we are booked for GBCL with Air Canada. Will we have to deal with this Joel too? Or do I just say "I;'ve heard of you! Smile and walk away"?

Shelburne, Ontario
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

The roulette is exclusive to Air Canada I believe so if you book that, there is no way around Joel!!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP: Air Canada Roulette GBP El Portilllo or GBP Cayacoa

My husband and I also booked the Air Canada Roulette, I am looking forward to as I don't care which place we go to. Thanks for all the warnings about the rep I will keep this in mind has we go though the process of resort assignment. We got a great deal with the Roulette on Black Friday, Junior suit for $800 each including taxes which from Canada are almost $400 dollars.