We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gbp el portillo

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
saint john new...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Topic
gbp el portillo

looking to book this resort for feb. can someone tell us if this resort is a nice resort thank you thelemon

Stirling, Canada
Level Contributor
791 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gbp el portillo

We went last fall and we really enjoyed it...would go again. HOpefully can get a good price...

saint john new...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gbp el portillo

thank you dets. thelemon

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gbp el portillo

Would return in a heartbeat ( 3x since Jan 2011). Smallish resort, quiet night life (more families & over 50's people). Clean rooms, good beds, decent food selection, friendly staff, lovely landscape. Can safely walk the beach for a long time undisturbed. Take a taxi ($10 US) to Las Terrenas for the experience, and go to the new Fisherman's Village (should be open by Feb for sure, after fire last May) for good restaurants. Find "One Love Surf Shack" at Fisherman's village for good burgers & a wealth of info (in English)

One main pool without swim up bar, but walk into the ocean to your knees & you can feed the fish. Good snorkeling.

Happy travels!

saint john new...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: gbp el portillo

thank you carol s, we have been going to the DR now for 12 years and we love the people and the country plus this will be our first trip to samana. thank you thelemon

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gbp el portillo

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Carol says about BPEP - except for one thing. Please do not feed the fish! Their systems are not equipped to deal with bread and similar substances. There are notices by the beach asking you not to do this, but these are frequently ignored. We are used to the regime in the Maldives where fish feeding is a compltete No No, and virtually everyone complies. We were shocked to hear that some of the reps at BCEP actually encourage their clients to do it.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gbp el portillo

I'll remember that next visit MissFits. We were encouraged to feed the fish by the reps. I don't remember seeing signs, but we won't feed them again. Thanks for the advice! Carol s.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gbp el portillo

i would like to known if their is a coffee maker in the standard room

Kitchener
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: gbp el portillo

Its great to hear all the positive feedback on this resort. We have booked a ten day trip in February (which are always hard to come by)...can't wait! First time to this area of DR. Love the idea of the smallish resort and the endless beach.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gbp el portillo

There is a coffee maker in standard rooms. I liked the coffee, but took a glass of milk from the buffet as I don't like powedered creamer.

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gbp el portillo

Does anyone have any info on the Hobie Cat catamaran they have for us to sail for one hour each day?

Wondering what size the boat is and if we are permitted to sail it alone.

Any restrictions on how far you can sail it....ie: must stay within eyesight?