We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

santiago airport to las terrenas (playa colibri)

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
santiago airport to las terrenas (playa colibri)

Hi all,

We're wondering what people's experiences have been with renting cars for driving in the Dominican. From what we've read here and elsewhere (dominicantaxi.com), a taxi from Santiago to the Samana peninsula (specifically Las Terrenas) would cost between $100 and $150 each way.

A rental car is comparable in price, but we have a hunch it may be more of a hassle than its worth, and we've heard that road conditions and road signs are less than ideal.

We'll be heading there this coming mid-March (2005).

Best regards, Mike from Boston

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: santiago airport to las terrenas (playa colibri)

If you have never driven in the DR, I really wouldn't recommend it. The drivers are crazy!! They have no respect for other drivers and have no patience. I can't tell you how many red lights I drove through when I was there in Dec.

CHicago
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: santiago airport to las terrenas (playa colibri)

Hi,

I am planning to go to Playa Colibri in March too. I am wondering how did u book for the hotel? They never reply me after i filled out the request form. Do you know any other way to book? I'll really appreciate for your response.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: santiago airport to las terrenas (playa colibri)

mic1110 - I got an email within a day or two of submitting the form. We are staying there in March, too. I had to wire the deposit, but haven't heard back from them since.

CHicago
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: santiago airport to las terrenas (playa colibri)

larsfamily- I finally got their replying email. They say on email that once you wire the money, you need to fax or email them the copy of the deposite, then they will send you the comfirmation. It just seems like it always take some time for them to reply or comfirm emails.

Las Terrenas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: santiago airport to las terrenas (playa colibri)

Yes, is true, driving in DR is crazy. Take a taxi, is much safer and more confortable, plus they know where they are going.

You could ask them to stop for taking pictures or for a pit stop, or a quik refreshment (beer).

Regarding Playa Colibri responding late to their e-mails, I talk with the manager about your concern and he ashure me of a speedy response in the future.

Have a great vacation in Las Terrenas.

Samana.net