We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Gordon

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
North Carolina
1 post
Save Topic
Villa Gordon

Does anyone know anything about Villa Gordon in Tankah??

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Gordon

Hi,

I just stayed at Villa Gordon with 2 other families (6 adults 8 kids) and cannot recommend it more highly.

The owner (Gianni) catered to all of our needs and the service at the house (cleaning/cooking) was excellent.

The house is split up into 3 sections.. Gianni has the top floor, we had the main floor and Elizabeth and her family live in the basement. It's all very separate though and does not feel cramped or crowded or like you're living w/a bunch of people.

There are 4 very nice rooms (each w/a bathroom), a common area that includes the kitchen and "family" room. The pool is good size and was kept very clean. Gianni went out of his way to get 5-6 different pool toys/inflateable things for our kids. The pool deck is great .. Gianni clearly isn't afraid of spending some money so that his guests get what they think they are paying for. The beach is one of the nicest in the immediate area. Most of the beach area up and down this general area is very corally w/o much sand. Villa Gordon has a very nice sandy area (roughly 200'X100') with lots of cool tide pools, millions of shells, coral, etc. The kids loved this. The really great long beaches are 15 minutes away either north or south.

There is a nice cenote (lagoon/cavern) about a mile from Villa Gordon that the kids (and adults) loved swimming in. It's not as impressive as Dos Ojos or Hidden World (google them if you aren't familiar) but it's fun, nearly free (a buck) and close (1km from Villa Gordon) .

I'd strongly recommend using his cooking service. We would let Gianni know what we wanted to eat then he'd go get it and Elizabeth would cook it.. it was all done very professionally, comfortably, deliciously, and for a very reasonable price.

I could probably rave about a few more details but you get the jist.. this is a good spot owned by a very good and honest person. Just for good measure I should probably include a rant but I can't think of any...

Flagstaff, AZ
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Gordon

We stayed in Villa Gordon for a week in May 2008. We had some serious problems while we were there. We were robbed while we slept on the third night. This was after Gianni, the owner described the area as "very safe." The robber actually had to come into our house while we slept. Gianni lives on the second floor with his family and the gardener and maid live in the basement with their two kids. There were also several dogs living above and below. We never really felt like we had privacy there as someone was always coming by, and there was quite a bit of noise we heard coming from the upstairs (especially late at night).

The worst thing that happened was that the maid hit our rental car while she was learning to drive. Why she was practicing her driving skills in the parking lot, next to a guest's car, I will never know. Gianni told me not to tell the rental agency that the maid hit the car, as I had a 0% deductible. He said I would not be charged, and that if I was that he would take care of it. I did not want to be dishonest with the rental agency, so I told them what happened. When I returned the car they never mentioned it, but I was charged $250 a couple weeks after. I disputed the charge with my credit card, but eventually they said I had to pay. AT this point, several months later, I contacted Gianni and explained what occurred. He said not to worry, and that I would not have to pay, but asked that I send all the documentation of what had gone on to him. I did so, and after sending him repeated emails finally got a response. He basically said that it wasn't his fault, and that the rental agency should never have charged me. This may be the case, but the fact is that they did. Further more it seems clear to me that if you are parked at a luxury rental house, and the staff damages your car, the owner should pay for any charges that result. This is not what happened.

On the plus side, the house was nice, the pool was great, and the location on the beach was great (though not a great swimming beach due to all the coral). But there are so many other rentals in the area, and I'm guessing that they don't have the owner living above. I would definitely not stay here again. Beware of Villa Gordon and the slimebag landlord!

3. Re: Villa Gordon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Soliman Bay