We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speeding fine (Zappers)

Which Arrowtown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Speeding fine (Zappers)

My mum has just had a speeding fine from her trip to New Zealand! She must have been caught by one of your speed cameras.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speeding fine (Zappers)

Ah !! the long arm of the law strikes again.

Your Mum will be relieved to know she isn't the only one. The police were particularly aggressive on speed this year. Other years it's drink/driving, slow drivers, dangerous overtaking etc.

There was a discussion on Foders a while ago regarding whether or not to pay the fine. Here's the link

www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp…

Out of interest I had a look at the Police web site, to see what their policy is on speed ing and speed cameras. Here's the link for that.

…govt.nz/resources/…

As you see, there is a 10kph latitude, so your mum must have been doing at least 111kph in a 100kph zome (open road), or 61kph in a 50k zone (built up area). Also, in my (unfortunate) experience, the 10k is deducted from the actual speed you are charged with, so if she got a ticket for 110k, she would have been doing 120. Not hard to do on our uncrowded roads.

Best advice is to bite the bullet and pay it; particularly if she intends returning to NZ. Unpaid fines are referred to the courts for collection, and although the authoritys will not aggresively pursue the matter, if you are intercepted by any official agency, such as Border Control, you will be detained, and may be refused entry to NZ. Australia has a very similar policy, and Australia and NZ co-operate closely on criminal matters, though I don't know if it extends to collecting fines.

Hope she otherwise enjoyed her holiday ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speeding fine (Zappers)

Hi vbc she was doing 61k in a 50k zone naughty girl. She was thinking of dodging this one but as she intends to go to Australia again soon I shall have to warn her to pay up!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speeding fine (Zappers)

Hi EnglishRose, It's very easy to get caught. We tend to be a bit wary of station wagons parked on the side of the road with their trunk lid open, but speeding fines are still a lucrative money spinner for the Govt, (although they will say thats not why they do it.)

One real trap is the speed restrictions at road works. THis is usually a 30kph resrtiction, but sometimes it's 10kph, and even though the restrictions are temporary, they still carry the same penalties as perminant restrictions. If you exceed the limit by 30kph or more, it is instant loss of license, so if you barrel through a 10kph road works at 40kph you can be well and truely done. Fortunately they don't usually place speed cameras in these areas, or half the driving population would be off the road.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speeding fine (Zappers)

Oh dear.....what a shame :)

That's the parting gift NZ govt gives out to tourists- how else are they going to squeeze out that last penny and leave a sour taste in our visitor's mouth!

Was your mum driving a rental? I know some rentals will let you off a parking ticket but the speed ones are a lot priceier.

I have a framed picture somewhere in the loft of a certain somebody with an atonished look on her face saying "oh sh*t "as she saw the flash. My husband sent away for it cause the ticket came for his car and he knew (as men do) it wasn't him, I'd kept "mum" on it hoping it wouldn't come- photos never lie!

I also have a mother who has managed to weddle her way out of 3 speeding fines (2 from the same camera on the same day), she has managed to come up with a myriad of excuses AND THEY BELIEVE HER! We have told her, "no more"- she will pay the next one or we'll dob her in!

And one last thing, they have moved on to having the camera set up in any old (& I mean old) car or van with the back door shut- the thing to look out for is darkened windows although by the time you realise this it's too late. Be wary of any vehicle parked on the side of the road by itself, with or without a guy in the drivers seat taking a snooze. Better still don't speed!

PS- ER I shall choose to ignore your other post- although three words come to mind, lucky last time :0)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speeding fine (Zappers)

Do they really hide their speed cameras over there? In UK they are obvious. Surely they have warnings that they are about dont they? Dont know how this thread ended up in Arrowtown? Where is it by the way?!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speeding fine (Zappers)

Arrowtown is a beautiful quaint little town (ex goldmining) about 20kms from Queenstown in the South Island. Famous for it's autumn colours. Maybe she got snapped in this area?

Speed camera warning signs were removed about 2 years ago, now they can stop anywhere they like. They are not allowed to be covert (hide behind a tree or down a track somewhere) but that doesn't stop them from disguising themselves in older cars, man stopped reading paper etc etc. They pick their areas very well and if you ain't paying attention- FLASH!